15. Gone but never forgotten

"God, we thank you for the life that you give us. It is full of work and of responsibility, of sorrow and joy today we thank you for Tammy Universon, for what she has given and received.
Help us in our mourning and teach us to live for the living in the time that is still left to us." The Priest finished with a prayer.

It had been nearly a week since Tammy had tragically passed and nothing had been the same since. The twins refused to settle, screaming constantly, almost as though they knew that Tammy was gone, despite them only being babies.

Mara stood up and walked to the front of the church to say a few words about Tammy.
Mara sniffled as tears ran down her face and she desperately tried to hold in sobs as she unfolded the piece of paper to read from.

"Tammy is," Mara choked down a sob at realising she could only refer to Tammy in past tense now, "was the brightest person in my life.
Her light could illuminate an entire room of darkness.
She helped me through the hardest times I have ever had to go through in my life, and I will forever be in debt to her. If she saw me now, she would laugh at me and tell me to shut up and to take a visit to her sex toy collection to calm myself down. But despite her disturbingly open persona, she still managed to be the most loving, kind person I knew and I will miss her forever."

Mara finished up her speech and scuttled off of the platform as quickly as she could, not wanting to face all of the people in front of her anymore.

Sat next to Mara along the front isle of the church was Tammy's best friend Patricia, who looked the stark opposite of Tammy, but still had the same aura about her, and even without knowing before hand that they were best friends, you could tell that they were somehow connected deeply.

Patricia had a massive white plaster covering her nose, and was sniffling heavily, making the entire white heap rise and fall with every movement she made.

Soon Patricia walked up to the front to say a few words about her former best friend. "You are probably all looking at my face and thinking 'what is wrong with her nose?' Well, I will tell you that now.

Me and Tams always said that one day when we could afford it we would get nose jobs together. Sounds superficial I know, but in her will she left me the money she had saved up for it and told me to go for it and do it in remembrance of her." Patricia started flapping her hands rapidly over her eyes. "Sorry, I can't cry until at least two weeks post surgery."

The more Mara listened to Patricia speak, the more she reminded her deeply of her lost friend. And despite never even knowing her until this very day, Mara knew in that moment that Patricia would be someone she had in her life for a very long time.

Vote. 😚🔫