Life, Death, And Acceptance

I rode on Dark's back for most of the journey. It took about an hour or so to reach his camp. I fell asleep about halfway there so I couldn't really see where we went. I awoke a few minutes before we arrived, and when I opened my eyes my nose was greeted by the smell of a cooking fire. By now it was dark outside, but I could see perfectly. The mist and darkness of the night thickened as I climbed down from Dark's back. He waited as I ran to catch up with him. He glanced back at me and spoke in a monotone voice

"Are you ready to meet everyone?" I nod my head yes as we walk into the clearing where Dark's camp resides.

As soon as we enter the clearing we are surrounded by soldiers "Dark who's with you?!" One shouts, the voice appears to belong to be a girl. She wore a white mask that covered most of her face which was surrounded by her long black hair. Her eyes behind the mask were completely black, and her skin was drained of color. She seemed like she had walked out of a black and white picture, because all of her entire appearance was void of anything remotely colorful. Even though I couldn't see under her mask I could tell she was glaring.

"Hi Jane. I went out looking for the target and I found this girl alone in the woods.

"She has some potential so I decided to bring her back here to meet and maybe join the army." He concluded his explanation gesturing to me, I was still covered in blood but my hair was fine and my strange eyes seemed to be glowing in the darkness of the night. The plus side was that my blue polka-dot dress was only half covered in blood now because of the perspiration that drifted around in the air causing a dense fog.

"Then what the heck is with this stupid fog!" Jane complained loudly, "it wasn't here when we set up camp a few days ago, and it just keeps on getting worse!"

"I've been wondering about that too." Replies Dark, who starts looking around at the shadows that I now realize are just more soldiers shrouded in the fog.

He seemed to be taking it into his mind to remember each of their faces. "It showed up suddenly and came out of nowhere..." The mist seemed to increase. He then glanced quickly at me, the exchange was brief but not unnoticed by me and Jane.

I silently looked at the ground as I heard a female voice bounce through my head. I knew instantly that the voice belonged to the demon girl.

'Do you want me to stop the water?' She asked in a taunting voice that now suddenly sounded a lot more like my own. I looked up slightly to see that the tents were soaked and the sound of crackling fires was gone completely, the ground softened and became like a swamp. I nodded my head yes because I knew that if this continued people would start sinking in as well.

The mist began thinning. Not just thinning though, it was literally disappearing into my silver eye. Like I was absorbing the liquid and asking it to live inside me. It came at me like a vortex barley noticeable but still there, in a mater of seconds the fog had completely disappeared. Not only that but the ground and everything in the area was dry to the touch.

Some people gasped at the sudden absence of the perspiration, others acted as if nothing had happened at all. Jane just stared at me, her unblinking face was intimidating and it caused me to almost jump back in fear as she strode over confidently and grabbed me by the arm.

"This way, the master told me that he wishes to see you." Her words were barley audible above the sounds of protest from Dark. She lead me weaving her way around the camp until she arrived at an especially large tent, one that had guards positioned all around it. "This way," she says as she pulled open a large flap that leads inside. I glance back to see that Dark was panting and out of breath because of the tiring journey to reach the fortress-like tent. I turned back around and took a deep breath. Bracing myself by instinct.