February 6th

It all started on a random day of February.

I opened the door of our apartment, heading straight to the kitchen, where I could hear his presence.

- Hi babe!
- Hey honey, he said kissing my cheek. How was your day?
- Great, actually. I had some really good news at the office.

I was so excited to tell him. I think he could tell by my voice, because he looked up from the plate he was making himself and looked at me in curiosity.
I smiled, putting down my purse on the counter and heading to the refrigerator for some juice.

- Well I was at work, like usual. But when I went to check my email, I nearly spilled my coffee when I saw the screen!
I looked at him, still pouring my drink in a glass cup. I got an invitation to a topworld program abroad!! Well, it's still very competitive and I do have to apply and get accepted... but if I do get it this opportunity can completely change the course of my career!

I was smiling so broadly, putting the bottle back in the refrigerator, that I didn't even notice the lack of reaction from his part.

He just cleared his throat. I looked at him, but when I noticed his expressionless face, my smile faded a little.

- What's wrong ? I asked.

- Abroad, you said? he asked slowly.

"Well, yeah, and it's-"

- And how long are you planning to go? he cut me off. His tone was firm, a little cold.

- The program is stretched for a year and a half, it starts in the beginning of next year.

- Oh... I see. And, you're seriously considering it ?

- Well yeah... Tristan, this is the opportunity of a lifetime, it could open so many doors for me! They're also giving all the applicants a chance to work with them officially after the program!

Tristan's eyes darkened a little. I could tell he wasn't as excited as I was. In fact, he wasn't happy for me at all.

He scoffs.

- Wow, he finally said. I can't believe you're actually considering it. Going away for a year and a half ?! Where does that leave our relationship??

And that's when I understood. He wanted me to decline the invitation so I could stay with him.

We had a big fight that evening. We didn't sleep next to each other. It was a cold night in our New York appartement, a night that started a series of fights and issues.