Car ride

"Jake. Please come take us home."

Just a few minutes after my phone call, I saw his car parked outside. I threw Tina's arm above my shoulder and carried her to the car. The girl was absolutely wasted. 

Jake opened the door for her and helped me get her in the backseat. She was laughing hysterically. Jake closed the door and looked at me.

- What happened?! he asked.

- Your sister can get absolutely crazy when a cute guy's asking for her number, I say.

I get in the car and run my hand on my face. My makeup's probably smudged all over the place but I really didn't care. I was so tired all I could think about was getting home. I was so glad Jake could come and her sister safely.

"I'm sorry for calling you, Jake. But I couldn't handle her and I had a couple drinks myself-"

- Save it, Prior. It's really no problem.

I smile gratefully. 

When I look in the rearview mirror I see Tina asleep. Jake must've noticed too.

"I'm gonna pass by the pharmacy to get her some aspirin", he sighs.  

He does so, and comes back with some painkillers too.

"For your headache tomorrow", he says handing me one of the bottles.

I thank him. The car goes silent after that. I lean my head on the window.

- Hey, Tris. You okay?

- Mhm. I'm just tired.

Jake looks at me, skeptical, but keeps his eyes on the road.

"I don't know what kind of problems you and your boyfriend are having... and it kills me to say, but I'm sure that if it meant to be alright, it will be."

This was the first time Jake hasn't referred to Tristan as 'prince charming'.

Jake clear his throat.

- In the meanwhile, if things ever go wrong... you can always call me if you need help. These kind of men don't tend to be intimidated by women, even if you and Tina could tear him up if you wanted.

I chuckle. But he was right. During our arguments, Tristan was never intimidated by me. I'm not saying that he should've been, but he was barely respectful when we fought.

Jake dropped me off. 

"Thanks", I say. "I mean it."

I close the door and head straight to my bedroom to take a shower. By the time I was done it was almost one o'clock, so I laid on the the bed under the sheets.

The minute my head touches the pillow, I drift into a deep, dreamless sleep.