Fast and Furious

I've been in my car for about three and a half hours now, and I think I've reflected enough on about what happened with Tristan. I was a little taken aback by my own answers, but everything that came out of my mouth was said in pure confidence. And I was so proud of that.

When I first saw him, I was surprised - not in a good way, of course - and scared a little, I guess. I didn't expect him there. But when it came to confronting him, I wasn't afraid. I felt good, better. I might have also needed that reality check it gave me. I finally understood how bad his presence had an effect on my life, and how different was life was back in New York.

It wasn't long ago, but during these four weeks in my home town, I have unconsciously began to be a version of me I thought was gone. Despite everything, I felt more like myself than ever. I had my shit together, and even when I didn't, I still liked it.

I now realize that it wasn't New York or Virginia that made me look and feel better. It was how I lived there and the vibes I wanted to surround myself with.

This whole mess had taken me back to the years when I lived with my parents. How I was overly independent for a child, how I could take care of myself, how my ambitions only grew and how hard I worked to make them reality.
So yes, I may have lived numerous and drastically different periods in my life so far, but I wouldn't call it unstable. I still had me. Still same old me, who swears on to-do lists and coffee. That teenager who started saving up for a car hoping for a better future is the same one driving back from a meeting in a company that gave her countless opportunities, heading to friends that love her as equally as she does. 

That may not seem like much, but sixteen years old me could've never been prouder.

~~~

My thinking time was over. I went over every little detail, but there was somehow still around two hours before I arrived back home.

It was the afternoon, and I've finally passed the traffic and gone onto the highways. The roads were significantly more free, and thanks to that, I could notice what was wrong.

I was cluelessly singing along with my playlist, when I looked briefly at the mirror, like I always do. I check again, and my doubts were confirmed.

I was being followed.

My heart rate significantly increases, and my mouth goes dry.

- Shit. 

I frantically try to think, and my thoughts immediately go to him.

I grab my phone, and enter his number from speed dial.

Please answer, Jake.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake's POV:

Jaden, Oliver and I were playing Mario Kart when my phone rang. I saw her name lit up my screen on the table, and I immediately pause the game.

- OH COME ON JAKE!

Yeah, Jaden wasn't so chill about being bothered in the middle of a game. The guys laugh at him. I hand over my joystick to Luke, who was waiting for his turn to play.

"Continue with it, I have to take this."

I hit the answer button and bring the phone to my ear, moving a little further from the couch.

We were at Jaden's. While the girls (Amy, Tina and Grace) were having fun in the pool, the rest of us were playing video games in the living room. Mark and Dave were gonna join later tonight.