Terry's

After all of our stops, we were on our way back home. I let Jake take the wheel so I can text Camilla. But my stomach was growling, and it's been hours since I ate. So I insist we make a stop somewhere to eat.

Jake stops the car a few minutes later. I look up, and my heart fills with warmth.

We were at Terry's. This place not only makes the best tacos in town, but it also holds a special place in my heart.

"He used to bring us here all the time, remember?" Jake whispers.

I only nod. The silence in the car was oddly comforting, as the memories of Grandpa float in our minds.
Grandpa was also a sort of parental figure for my friends, specifically Jake and Tina. They were our neighbors, my best friends, and most of the time they were on their own or with a sitter. Grandpa took us all on trips and dinners. He loved and cared for them a lot. 

Jake clears his throat, then quietly gets out of the car to get us the good.

The aching pain in my heart amplifies, and for a few minutes, all I can hear is faint laughter and my grandfather chuckles. He'd always order twenty tacos. Five for each of us. Even when we insisted we didn't want them all, he never listened.

I was still daydreaming when a sudden movement shook me a bit.

Jake was opening the door, carrying two brown bags.

He handed me one of them, and when I opened mine, I found 5 tacos in there.

Tears filled my eyes, but I restrained myself from crying, not wanting to get emotional.

So I just whisper to him: "Thank you."

~~~

I turn the keys in the lock of my door. When I hear a click, I open it slowly, and the familiar smell of the beach house strikes me.

Light was peeking through the closed curtains, the furniture was left untouched. I look around slowly, and I swear I could picture my grandparents still making breakfast in the open-kitchen.

I smile lightly and start helping Jake with bringing all the bags in.

We spend the afternoon catching up, while stuffing cabinets and the refrigerator with food and supplies.

My playlist was on and the ambiance was great. I was having a good time, considering Jake is a friend I haven't seen in quite a long time.

Speaking of friends, Tina came in the early evening with bags of popcorn.

We then spent the night together, just like old times, bickering about our Netflix choices, then finally agreeing on Jake's pick.