Snowflake

I spend the next morning working through the project I was leading.

If someone came in right now, they would find me buried in a pile of papers and notebooks. But I loved every second of it. Believe it or not, I was actually happy with my job and field, and I felt blessed to have such an amazing position. 

Many don't like what they do in life and are stuck with it, but that's not my case.
I got myself a job with a healthy workplace environment, where everyone was nice. My boss balanced really well the ambiance between professionalism and friendliness, creating a place for workers that didn't add on more pressure, but instead made the job more enjoyable. We had many events, flexible schedules, breaks and happy hours that blended us all in and built a great work dynamic.

And I found that really important, especially for any young woman like me it was crucial to be and feel safe in the place where not only do you spend a lot of time in but also shapes you.

And to be able to have these... it was very precious to me. I felt seen and appreciated, which is why I'm so happy about me leading that project. When Linda assigned it to me, it meant I was being trusted with bigger tasks, greater responsibilities. Even though I've always been escalating positions in this company, this was different. And I was not gonna disappoint.

I already made a general plan for the project, reviewed and read the notes sent to me twice, and started brainstorming ideas. I set deadlines, and made a small presentation to the team, but the rest had to be done with them.

Ding!

A notification dazzles me out of my thoughts.

I pick up my phone and look at the screen.

You've been added to a new group chat by Oliver!

The list of participants showed Luke, Tina, Jake, Jaden, and Oliver of course.

Jaden: "F.R.I.E.N.D.S"? Really Oli?

Oliver: Best show ever, AND we're the same number. Don't like the name, get out of it!

Tina: Guysss do you wanna do smthg tonight? 

Luke: Oh why missy? Your lovey dovey boyfriend's busy?

Tina: Uhhh yeah.. kinda

I send laughing emojis when Luke responds to her with a funny sticker.

Me: I say we do it
Me: Omg what do you say about the roller skating place! Remember? The one we used to go to all the time

Tina: OMG YES YES YES
Tina: MEET YOU THERE AT 7?

Jaden: But not everyone has agreed to it-

 Tina: And I haven't asked everyone's opinion :) See you at 7!

~~~

The place was just like old times. Neon lights, vast floor to skate on, and a stage next to it for dancers. We get directed to the lockers and pick our roller skates. Everyone surprisingly showed up!

"Wow! I have to say, I'm a little surprised you came!" I say as I hug Jake, who just arrived.

- Well, she didn't give us much of a choice, did she? Luke chimes in.

He points at Tina, who smiles proudly.

"You guys ready?" I ask once I'm done tying the rollers.

Only Oliver nods. He gets up, rolls to my side, and offer me his hand in a gentleman-like kinda way.

"Let's go, m'lady" he asks in a thick british accent. 

I burst out laughing, but take his hand and turns to our friends.

"Goodbye, peasants" I say with a royal wave of my other hand.

I hear their chuckles as Oliver and I head towards the rink.

When I set my foot on the waxed floor, I feel a familiar sense come to my body. I immediately leave Oliver's side to take a run around. I easily slide, turn, and spin, and when I'm done with that fun little round, I find Luke next to Oliver.

"Wow, you haven't lost it, Snowflake."

My mouth opens in shock. The guys used to call me that a few years ago, back when I was in the college's dance team. I once had to do a solo for a show, and was given a white dress, that apparently with all the turns and movements made me look like a...

"Snowflake. Oh my God", I whisper, my heart full of emotion. "I haven't heard that nickname in such a long time!"

- Yes, but you still earn it.

Jake's voice emerges from behind me. I yelp in surprise since I haven't noticed him behind me. How long has he been here for?

"So... Snowflake. How come you still skate perfectly?"

"It's called muscle memory, Jakey. Maybe you'd know what it is if you ever worked out!"

I felt so proud of that comeback, even if it didn't apply to him at all. My man was ripped.

"I go to the gym almost every day, Prior."

Obviously.

- Let me have my moment, please. It was a good burn.

"Yeah, it was" Oliver says.

Jake shoots him a glare.

- But not applicable, Jake states.

I scoff. "Yeah, keep telling yourself tha-"

I'm suddenly caught off by surprise, because my body was thrown on broad shoulders - Jake's shoulders, to be more specific. Not only did he carry me, but he also started skating around and spinning. I gripped to his t-shirt, holding on for dear life, but I was surprisingly more stable than I thought.

He finally set me down, and my body glided against his, and boy let me tell you he was right! I could feel his muscles against my skin, but not for too long though. Because as I was trying to stand back on my feet, my head spun and I lost balance, falling right back into his arms.

I was feeling weirdly comfortable whenever he was touching me, whether it was a hug, spinning me, or like right now, with his arms tight around me as he catches me from my fall.

"Sorry" I mumble, flustered.

Jake didn't answer, and I was looking into his eyes for a moment, as I stand back up. 

These few seconds didn't last forever, and I was a little glad, as I was pretty sure my cheeks were starting to turn red.

I clear my throat and chuckle awkwardly. 

"Well, I guess you've proven me wrong! Uh I think I'm gonna skate around a little now, I'll be back when the others come too."

I leave them and start skating, trying to clear my mind from the weird thoughts that come into my head. However, Jake's face when he helped me back on my feet kept going back to me, as well as the smirks of Jaden and Oliver that followed.

As I replay the scene in my head, I feel my heart rate go up.

What was going on between me and Jake?

And why do I like it?