Personal Banker

Once we entered the bank, I went to a receptionist and gave him my name. He directed us to an office, where a lady received us for my appointment.

Jake and I sat down on the chairs in front of her desk as she consulted paperwork.

"So, I understand you want to close a joint account with certain... Tristan Carter."

I try not to make a face at his name. The name I once thought I'd take one day.

- Yes. But he's not aware of that. Is there any way you won't notify him?

The banker nods in understanding.

"Of course. Since you technically both own this account, you have equal say over it. So closing it off is your right, and he can't really do anything about it", she explains.

A small smile spreads across my lips.

"That's perfect. In that case I would like to transfer my money into my main account, please. I keep track of the amounts I put in, and it comes around three thousands dollars."

The lady looks at her laptop for a few moments then nods.

- We can totally do that. Which would leave around a thousand in the joint account.

I frown.

- Wait, what? Only a thousand? That's not possible. I recall Tristan putting in way more money in it.

The lady takes a look at me over her glasses, then looks at the screen again. She plays with the keyboard and mouse for a minute.

"Over a thousand was spent a few days ago... on the Four Seasons website", she adds.

I suddenly feel my mouth dry.

- Oh. Alright. I guess that explains it.

Jake clears his throat.

- So, will she be able to take her money and remove her name of that account?

The banker nods.

- Yes, of course. I just need you to give me a few documents and sign this one please.

She slides a sheet towards me as I reach in my purse for my ID and other papers. I hand her everything she asked for and go over the document she gave me. 

Once I've read it, I take a pen and sign on the bottom of it, where indicated.

Ten minutes later, I was heading out of her office with a few more thousands in my account.

Despite the dizziness that the revelation caused me, I felt a tad accomplished.

Jake put an arm around my shoulder when he heard me sigh. We walk side by side till we reach my car. I hand him the keys.

- Can you drive? I have to clear my head a little and check a few things.

- Yeah, sure, he says softly.