The first morning

After getting ready together, Tina and I left.

We went to run some errands: first, we passed by a coffee house to get our regular drinks and, of course, a fair stock of instant coffee and creamer for the house. Then we decided to go to the supermarket.

She and I wrote a list of all the food and items I needed.
We were in the female's hygiene aisle, picking out a few packs of bags and tampons, when the conversation took an... interesting turn.

- Do you really need those?
- Hm?

Her gaze was full of meaning, but also amusement and curiosity.
" Oh God, Tina ! No! I mean yes! Yes I do need them! "

- Oh come on ! she insisted. You're really gonna convince me that you've never done it with him . and that you're not on some type of birth control?

"Clearly, no," I said in an obvious tone, holding a pack of pads in evidence. " We... haven't done it."

- Beatrice. You've been living with this man for like a year, you sleep in the same bed, and you're telling me there hasn't been... that kind of action?

I nod.
- Well, yeah. I didn't have sex with Tristan.

Suddenly, we hear slow clapping from behind. I turn around to find Jake with a smirk on his face. Shit.

"Such an interesting thing, listening about my little sister's best friend's sad sex life."

- What are you doing here ?

- Tina has to work shifts as an intern in the afternoon... but I assume by the look on your face she hasn't told you yet ?

His sister looks at me with a guilty expression.

"Don't worry about it, T. I can buy stuff alone. And you don't feel obligated to sub in," I add to Jake.

He just shrugs.

- Well, I actually don't mind keeping company to your little pathetic self. Also Tina threatened me this morning.

Oh so that's what they were talking about in the kitchen.
Jake fakes an exasperated sigh then throws his arm around my shoulder.

- But it's okay. Jakey's here to save the day.

Tina quickly excuses herself and apologizes, then blows me a kiss, leaving in a hurry.

I take Jake's arm off my shoulder firmly and push the cart forward.

"Someone's grumpy !" Jake scoffs. He adds in a loud whisper in my ear, "Is it because you've been exposed on the lack of sexual action with prince charming?"

I roll my eyes and stay silent.

- Oh my God. You didn't deny it. This is the best day of my life!

- Not mine , I mutter. And fine, yes, I did not sleep with him. Or with anyone. Ever.

- Tris Prior, is this your way of telling me you're a virgin?

I turned to him expecting to see mockery all over his face, but all I could catch was a glimpse of curiosity and something else I couldn't quite grasp.

- Well... Yeah. I am.

- Why, though?

Jake asked this in such an innocent way, that I honestly wasn't feeling uncomfortable about the conversation.

- I don't know... I think I just want to wait for marriage.

- So... for religion?

- No. I guess I just like the symbolic meaning behind it. Just... waiting for the right person, you know?

- And you don't think Tristan's the right guy for you? Is that why you haven't done it?

I fake chuckle.

"No. I mean, he begged, that's for sure. But I just think it's too soon. And our fight proves I was right to wait and -"

"Wait, what?" Jake cuts me off. "He begged? What do you mean, he begged?"

I sigh.

- Tristan tends to get a bit... pushy when he's slightly drunk. So sometimes, our wine and dine at home ends up with him trying to get me into the bedroom.

Jake clenches his jaw.

" Beatrice, this is not okay," he says.

I wave him off.

- Oh, don't worry. Tristan wouldn't try to hurt me.

- But a no is a no, Beatrice. If you've ever expressed any doubt over it, he shouldn't consider pushing you through it!

- Jeez, relax! I laugh. Can we just continue filling this cart now? I really wanna go home.