The 'party'

In every woman's life, there are moments that you share with best friends, the ones that seem silly on paper, but are really the most precious times you'll ever have.
It could be getting matching jewelry, listening to a song together, braid each other's hair... or, something as simple as getting ready together. 

"Damn Beatrice! You look amazing!"

I turned around to smile at Tina, who just entered my room in a creamy dress that arrived at her midthigh.

I resumed putting on my earrings - silver hoops -  while looking at her reflection behind mine on the mirror. 

"And you look even sexier in that dress", I tell her.

She blows me a kiss and starts putting on her makeup. I join her in the bathroom, where the lights are brighter and the mirror bigger. So just in general, a better spot to get ready.

We were listening to some jams on my phone and giving each other advice on the makeup choices.

- You know, Tina randomly starts. I'm really glad you came back this summer. Even if it's just for a few weeks. And... I know you're gonna hate me for bringing that up again, but I'm pretty sure Jake is very happy about that too.

My cheeks turn red, and I try to buy myself some time by applying lipstick.

- I'm glad I came too, Tina. And concerning Jake... well, he's one of my best friends, you know? And he's your brother!

- Well that didn't seem like such a problem when we were in college! You had a big fat crush on him, B. Everyone could see it but you two. 

- But I'm not eighteen anymore! I'm in a serious relationship, facing serious problems in it. I'm not just fooling around with guys! And if things were to happen between me and Jake someday, I'd want to do it right. The last thing I wanna do is mess up our friendship because of some bond we thought existed.

 Tina was smiling lightly, touching up her blush in silence.

- What ?

- Oh, nothing, she smiles.

~~~

We text Grace as soon as we arrive. The security guard checks our ID's, then we enter the bar. I was wearing a slim black dress with an asymmetrical neckline that left one of my shoulders bare. My hair was up in a slicked back ponytail, while Tina's were curled.

 We quickly found Amy and Grace, and sat down next to them. A guy came up and put his arm around Grace's shoulders and introduced himself.

"Hi, you must be Beatrice and Tina. I'm Mark, nice to meet you!"

- Hey! we greeted him back.

"Now let's cut it to the chase." Tina adds. "I was promised a gorgeous and single friend of yours. Grace said he'll be here."

- Well, she must be talking about me. 

The voice was deep, it came from behind Mark's broad shoulders. When his face finally became clear, Tina stepped down from the chair. 

"Oh my gosh, Dave!" she exclaims.

They hug shortly then start a conversation of their own. They were laughing and talking, both in another world, oblivious to the confused stares we were throwing them.

- Where the hell do you know him from?! Amy asks what everyone was thinking.

I turn to my side and usher to the bartender, not taking my eyes off them. "Whiskey please". This was gonna be hella interesting.