The office

I took off at 3 o'clock. Tina was going to follow me an hour later. That way I'd have a bit of time to talk with Linda, my boss.

I didn't dread meeting with her. Linda is a sweet lady, that filled the office with amazing vibes and smiles. She did have authority, and we all respected her, especially for her heart of gold.

It was around 9 when I parked my car in the parking lot. I got out and took the elevator.

I greeted everyone I'd pass by, but didn't stop for small talk. I was walking straight to Linda's office.
My heart started beating fast.

What if she won't understand?
What would I do?
Should I have to quit my job, then? 

I shook these thoughts out of my head when I reached her office. The door was open, and I saw her reading a document at her desk.

When she sensed the shadow of my silhouette stretching in the room, she looked up and her face immediately broke into a smile.

"Oh, darling!", she hugged me. "How are you! How have things been!?"

Before I say anything, Linda motions to one of the chairs for me to sit down, sensing something was wrong.

- I'm not home from vacation yet, Linda.

My boss raises an eyebrow and waits for me to continue. I take a deep breath and do so.

- I'm leaving New York. I'm moving somewhere else, far from here. It's my childhood town. Of course I'll be coming back to NY from time to time... but it's time for me to turn the page. Things got messy with my partner, and I can't live with him here. So I just came by to see if you'd consider switching me to full remote work? I'd understand if you won't but-

"Beatrice", she cuts me off. "Take a breather. You don't have to worry about this. Seems like you've got a lot on your plate already, no need to add more stress to it! Of course I'll switch you, dear."

I smile gratefully.

"Thank you so much, Linda. I really appreciate it. And don't worry, I'll be present for all mandatory meetings and important events."

Linda puts her glasses on her nose and analyses a file.

"Well, I don't think that will be a problem since you will be the one hosting those meetings."

I look at her, confused.

- There's a project I need you to take and I want you to drop everything you're working on, it will be given to Mindy. There's an application you have to build with a few other colleagues of yours. You handle it. It's yours. I'll send you the details over mail later, but it's quite a thing. And most of it can be done by home.