Fashion show

I texted Tina to come by, and I was waiting for her downstairs in the living room. Beer in hand, I was reading the project plans off my laptop's screen.

"Jeez, Beatrice. What have you done to this place!" Tina says as soon a she walks in.

My house was finally cleaned, and it was clear of boxes and moving stuff. My things were in there places, and with my stuff - including my books - in the house, I felt as though I added a personal touch to the place, making it feel more homey and cozy.

I chuckle and close off my laptop.

"Come on, let's go get dressed" I say, picking up my beer and heading to the stairs.

- You got another one of these?

- Yeah. In the fridge.

A minute later, Tina finds me in my dressing, sipping on her beer.

"We really shouldn't be drinking before a campfire", I chuckle.

- Well, it's only a beer, but you're right. There will be lots of people, and booze, of course.

Hearing that, I cut the choices of outfits I had in mind in nearly half.

I start getting dressed, and do a fake runaway show, doing a catwalk and modeling to show Tina the clothes.

She sits on my bed (the VIP section) along with my teddy bears (the audience), while I go back and forth from the dressing room (my private room), clicking my heels on the parquet (the podium).

My first pick was a casual floral dress that arrived to my knees. We obviously checked that out - for obvious reasons.

The second look was a beautiful black skirt paired with a white blouse. I was really close to choosing it, if it wasn't for the third outfit.

I had paired low-rise jeans that looked the absolute perfect shade of blue with a cropped top with off shoulder short sleeves.

When Tina saw me, she nearly dropped her jaw on the floor.

"You're gorgeous, Beatrice! Oh my gosh those pants fit you like a glove!"

I laugh at her big eyes and get back in to get my white sneakers.

When I get back out, I sit on the floor to wear them and tie my laces.

"So...T. Spit it out."

My best friend looks up from her phone and frowns her eyebrows.

- What? she say in confusion.

I click my tongue but don't meet her gaze.

"You've been acting weird since the hospital. And I think I know what it is."

Tina's expression goes from concentrated to a little blank.

- Jake told you something, hasn't he?

"No", Tina starts immediately. "I mean yes, but not everything. I promise. He just... Well, he just mentioned your parents. Very briefly. He didn't say much, but he was kinda pale getting out of your room, that's why I asked him about it."

- Oh. I see.. What has he told you?

"Um... Something about your reaction to coming to that hospital. Said that you saw them there the last- the day we came to see you there. A few years ago."

- The day Grandpa died.

"Yes", Tina winces.

I could see she was very careful, trying not to step on eggshells. But frankly, there was no such thing. 

- Look, T. I'm not mad at you. At all. I just wanted to know why you were acting weirdly with me. And I've figured it out. Also... you can ask, you know?

Her face went from relieved to slightly confused again.

- Ask what?

"What happened that day. Or what I told Jake about it. I know you're dying to hear the story!"

Tina blushes a little and I laugh.

- You're my best friend, T. I can read you like a book and so can you.

She hugs me tightly.

"Whenever you want to tell me you can." she pulls away a little, with a big smile on her face. "But not tonight! Because tonight is about us having fun!"

She clinks our beer together and we both take large sips out of them, then burst out loud.

"Come on now, T! We should hurry with the makeup. We're gonna be late!"