Who Will Dry Your Eyes When it Falls Apart?

Title From: Space Song by Beach House. Click arrow for the moodboard

15k 3rd Person limited from Yuta's POV

Relationship: Yuta/Mark

Summary: Yuta never intended to be a volleyball player, he spent his early years playing many different sports before getting bullied off his soccer team and finding volleyball that summer, quickly getting addicted to the sport and determining that this was his new favourite. He spent the rest of middle and high school playing on his volleyball team and making himself a name as a great player.

The same name that gets him a full-ride to a Korean university as a volleyball player, where he meets his friends, who later introduce him to his long-term boyfriend.

He's on track to go pro once he finishes school and he has people eyeing him for a career even further than collegiate level, and then one betrayal from his body has it all ending.

Alt: Yuta's career skids to a halt after a knee injury during a game, and Mark helps him through his hurt.

Warnings: Volleyball player AU, college/university setting, injury & injury recovery, angst & fluff, hurt/comfort, references to depression, crying, overworking, mark best bf, hitter yuta, hitter johnny, hitter jaehyun, libero taeyong, setter doyoung, back row player sicheng, pg-13 for language and 2 sex jokes.

Note: This is basically a vent fic I wrote after getting a knee injury and getting kicked off my volleyball team after being captain last year !! while im not as good as i make yuta, nor do i have a bf to comfort me, y'know it sucks so...yeah.

STORY BEGIN:

Yuta's favourite part of being a university student isn't the studying (oh god is it not the studying), nor is it the on campus living, or the parties, or even the friends he has.

Yuta's favourite part is the court. The court is his life, his everything, his reason for attending university in Korea, his reason for even breathing.

Okay, well maybe that last one was a little dramatic, but only barely! He really did live, breathe, eat, sleep volleyball and it was incredibly important to him, more so than most things in his life.

Yuta never intended to become a volleyball player, he played a lot of different sports in his youth; martial arts, dance, swimming, tennis and soccer were all sports that he loved when he was younger. Volleyball wasn't even on his register until he was bullied off his middle school soccer team by some really shitty players who made him so miserable on the field that he couldn't bear to play anymore.

That summer his parents signed him up for a volleyball camp to help him stay active, and he thought he would suck and that he would hate it but he was actually very good. He picked up easy, the rules were simple, it was competitive, fun and it didn't involve sprinting back and forth across a whole field outside in the heat.

That volleyball camp sparked his interest in the sport and he ended up doing a few more the same summer, quickly falling in love with the sport. He tried out in seventh grade for the team, which he ended up getting on.

There wasn't much competition which was good and their team also really sucked but that meant it was easy for Yuta to go above and beyond to improve his skills.

His eighth grade year he was team captain of their loser team and he'd set himself apart by creating a pretty large skill gap between himself and the rest of the players. They ended up only winning two games that year, but that was more than they won any season in the past few years so Yuta still considered it a win for both his skills as a captain and their team as a whole.