The Calm Before The Storm

A/N:    I have been getting more and more support here lately from readers, and I can not even begin to tell you how happy and motivated that makes me feel to continue to grow and expand the story!  It can be hard doing multiple things at once, and quite frankly discouraging, but the support I have been getting is no less than AMAZING.  Keep up the great support!!!  😊😁

_______________________________________________________________

                                                   Time Skip: 6 hours

            * As the day settles into night and the sky darkens, the day shift guards leave, and our heroes arrive... But only Carl makes it on time.*

                                                   CARL'S POV:

Carl:  First one in today, huh.

       *Carl hangs up his thick, rough leather jacket on the employees coat rack in the employee entry room.  As he does that,  he overhears a day shift guard talking about something strange happening and buts in*

Carl:  What's so strange?

Day Guard:  Oh, nothing.

Carl:  Seriously.  I'm going to be here all night, and I wanna know asshole.

Day Guard:  Just some construction worker in Roxy Raceway being a complete dick to people.

Carl:  Huh.

Day Guard:  Yeah, he shouldn't be a problem now. I watched them all leave.

Carl:  Did you catch his name?

Day Guard:  No..?  I'm not trying to date the dude, I just told him to quit being such a ass to people.  *Laughs*

Carl:  Alright then.

           * All of the day shift guards walk out of the door, meaning Carl was the only one in the Pizza-Plex for now.*

Carl:  I will write my name of the attendance clip board hanging on the wall, and then probably grab some food or something.

         * He writes his signature on said board, goes into a small room nearby and grabs his stuff out of his locker, and makes it out into the main lobby*

Carl:  Honesty, I'm feeling snaky right now, so I might just raid the bakery instead.  I will go ahead and check glamrock gifts and Faz-Pad to make the shift a little easier.  Even though I don't have to since the day guards were just here... You know what?  I've talked myself out of it.

               * Carl walks up the stairs and into the elevator, his stomachs growling louder than a pack of hungry wolves.  With him being the only one at the pizza-plex, it leaves him more vulnerable to an attack, but since the day shift just left, it is probably safe.*

Carl:  I'm so hungry that I'm miserable.. just like nagging thoughts that I can not answer.

               *Carl looks at the floor with a puzzled expression*

Carl:  Why can't I figure it out??  Why??

. . .

Carl:  Why does he want to protect this place so badly??

*DING!*

Carl:  What am I missing??

        *The elevator opens, and Carl makes his way out, looking around at the mostly illuminated atrium. Half the lights are turned off, but it is barely noticeable with all of the neon lights still on.*