Chapter twenty ²⁰ | Boyfriends

"Hey Charles

"Hey Charles." Milo greeted back with a soft smile, not moving as Charlie rushed over to him.

"Your face, your hair." Charlie rushed out hand gently grazing over Milo's cheek not wanting to hurt him before his hand went into Milo's hair.

"When did you have time to cut it? What happened to your cheek?" Charlie questioned out worried over the teens bruised cheekbone but also confused at the sudden haircut he knew Milo didn't particularly seem interested in getting.

"Ah, it's stupid but I rushed straight into the side of a doorway at home. Don't worry Elle has already scolded me, I'll be careful around doors from now on. As for the haircut, well I just thought it was time to cut it, my head feels lighter now." Milo answered his questions, the first part coming out easier than the later part but his smile was genuine as he felt good having Charlie in his presence.

Charlie finally dropped his hand from Milo's hair giving him another once over, it was nice seeing Milo's face properly again. Milo was handsome with both haircuts but it was refreshing to see Milo's face fully. Though his thoughts cut short when he remembered why he originally rushed out of the art room.

"Well it looks great Milo, but we need to go to the oval quickly." Charlie spoke while grabbing Milo's hand, interlocking their fingers before pulling Milo into a run.

Milo's eyes widening but goes along with it running down the hallway with Charlie not questioning why knowing it must be something important. Milo noted how his fringe no longer flew into his eyes as he ran, finally finding one good thing about the new haircut. Eyes glancing down at their hands, biting back a smile as a giddy feeling took over his body, god Milo loved holding Charlie's hand.

Rushing out onto the field where everyone was for the sports day towards where Elle and Tao were talking or more like Elle listening to Tao rant about how he was supposed to compete in the 200m race when he can't run in the first place. Making their way up to them, the two let go of each other's hands as Milo stood next to Elle and Charlie next to Tao.

"Swap bibs with me." Charlie told Tao while moving to slip off his own Red vest.

"What? Why?" Tao asked, confused at the sudden appearance of Milo and Charlie.

"You hate running, I'll run it for you." Charlie answered back as Tao took off his own Blue vest handing it over to Charlie.

"Thanks." Tao thanked Charlie as the two of them swapped coloured vests.

"It's fine. I'm just... I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for everything." Charlie apologised to Tao.

"Year 10s and 11s doing the 200 meters it's time to assemble by the starting line." The principal spoke over the intercom.

This caused Charlie to move over to grab Milo's hand again and walk over towards where the race would be starting. Milo whips his head around to look back at Elle and then towards Tao giving them a gentle smile before turning to look ahead and follow Charlie.