Part 16

***

"I'll be waiting for you outside, Baby," Fluke nodded slowly. Since the anesthesia already affected his body, he looked like he was about to fall asleep. "I love you, Baby. Hmm. . . I love you so much."

"I love you." He said softly. 

I kissed him, then he was wheeled to the operating room.

It had been a month since we knew his tests showed signs of cancer. We both knew the possibility of relapse, but since we didn't see any symptoms on Fluke, it took us by surprise when the doctor told us about it. 

*

"You already knew that there would be a possible remission of your lymphoma, right?" The doctor asked Fluke and he nodded. "That's why we are still watching closely on your condition, even after you completed your treatments. Based on the tests that we've done, we've found a few cells that might lead or develop to cancer cells. So we will do a few more tests just to make sure, okay?"

I held Fluke's hand and I wrapped my other arm around his waist as the doctor continued explaining Fluke's condition.

"You can see here," She said, showing the images of Fluke's PET-CT scan. "I found abnormal tissue forming somewhere on the upper part of your throat. But we still have to run another test, just to make sure if they are benign or malignant." Fluke and I just nodded listening intently. "Of course, we are hoping for a benign result. But we still have to get rid of them because they might cause a problem if they grow bigger.  Aside from it might be uncomfortable or painful, it will also be a cause of blockage in your air passage. So we still have to remove it."

*

"Uncle Ohm. . ." A small voice called me. 

"Hey," I said softly to a young girl standing next to me. "What are you doing here, Sandy? Where's your mom?" 

"She's coming, I ran going here so I could be here fast." She said breathing heavily. I smiled and asked her to sit next to me. 

"You shouldn't run like that. You might get tired. And. . . you should be resting right now. You just had your therapy yesterday, remember?"

She pouted her lips cutely, "But. . . But I want to be here. I want to wait for Uncle Fluke. Is he coming out already?" 

"Not yet, sweetheart. But he will be out soon." I explained and held her hand. "Why don't you go back to your room for now? It's not good for you to wait here." Then I spotted her mom a few feet away. "There's your mom now. I promise I will call you as soon as Uncle Fluke is out." 

"But. . ."

"No, buts, sweetheart. You know that Uncle Fluke won't like it if he knew you waited here for long." 

She nodded and raised her pinky finger. "Promise, you would call me, okay?"

I connected my finger with hers and said, "I promise. Now, go and rest, okay?"

"Okay. Bye, Uncle Ohm." Then both mother and daughter went on their way to the other side of the hallway.

Sandy was the girl we met when Fluke was doing some tests. She was only seven, and she had leukemia. Her mom was the only parent she had. The mother mentioned Sandy's father left them for another woman. Fluke and I learned that she had a small retail store and she closed it whenever Sandy had to do her treatment. So we decided to help them with their finances, so she wouldn't worry about where to get money for Sandy's next treatment.