Chapter 9: I get hungry

I eventually fell asleep in the tree, the grin never leaving my face.

When I woke up, it was late evening and the sky was a beautiful orange sunset, fading into a dark purple. I hadn't fallen out of the tree which surprised me.

I was in an odd, yet glad mood; for which I didn't know.

My face was heated up and there were butterflies in my stomach. 

I leaped down from the tree with a swoosh coming from behind me. I landed carefully and climbed into my hammock, snuggling into it as the reality set in that I'd missed Ben's Banishment.

~*~

When I woke up, it was late. About 2 AM. I wanted to get back to bed but my stomach told me otherwise.

I rubbed my red and tired eyes and yawned, sitting up in my hammock. I carefully crawled out of the side, letting my feet touch the cold ground covered in leaves and grass.

I slowly stepped over to the bag of food hanging from the tree, when I realized that it was empty.

I guess I'll have to make another delivery.

I slipped on my shoes and jogged to the edge of the Deadheads, peeking over behind a tree to make sure the coast was clear. Then, I made a beeline straight for the Homestead, to steal food from Frypan's kitchen.

Thomas's P.O.V.

I laid in my hammock, thinking about everything that happened today. Ben's Banishment, those cold, dead, empty eyes. But the one thing that I couldn't get out of my head was the girl that saved me.

I thought there weren't any girls here, but what about her? Newt and Alby told me to keep my mouth shut about her but they can't control my thoughts. Why was she in the Deadheads? Why did she save me? What was her name? Why didn't Newt and Alby not want me to tell anyone about her?

My thoughts were cut off when I heard the sound of someone... sleepwalking? No, it was too fast for sleepwalking. I looked to my left and saw Chuck sound asleep in his hammock. He mumbled things every now and then, but he looked so.... Peaceful.

How could they do this to a kid so young? I thought. I heard some noise coming from the Homestead, and swiftly stepped out of my hammock.

The cold wind struck my body as I shakily made my way over to see what the commotion was. I quietly opened the door to the Homestead, where the kitchen would be, and saw... The girl!
She was stealing the food! Or, stealing the leftovers from dinner.

She looked over in horror when she saw me. She shoved the food onto the counter and reached into her pocket, grabbing a sharp knife and pointing it at me.

I raised my hands in surrender and walked over to her with slow steps.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to know what you're doing here."

"I could ask you the same question, Thomas."

How does she know my name? I thought. I shook it off and directed my eyes to the food on the counter.

She swallowed, putting the knife away.

"I was hungry and was out of food. This is what I eat. Now, if you'll excuse me," She said as she repacked the food into her bag, "I'll be heading back now."

She jogged past me, but I snatched her wrist with all the strength I had.

"Wait, I-"

"You are to never tell anyone that this happened. Ever. Go back to bed, Tom. Please."

She sprinted out of the Homestead and into the dark of night, when I heard someone say my name.

"Thomas, what the shuck are you doing? It's 2 AM!"

I turned and saw a tired Newt and an angry Alby.

Shuck.