Chapter 34: The Strong, Surviving Girl awakens

When everything fell silent, Chuck and I locked eyes.

"Did we do it?" He asked.

I nodded as a smile crept on my lips and tears flowed down my cheeks. I looked over and saw Thomas and Minho out of breath with their backs to me. I jogged over to Thomas and stood behind him.

"Thomas," I said. He turned around to face me as he gasped for air.

"We did it," I sighed. Now it was their turn to smile. Minho grinned and Thomas enveloped me in a hug. Of course, I hugged back. He planted kisses on my neck when we heard a thump.

Everyone looked over to see the Gladers toppled over on top of each other on the floor. I giggled as Thomas and Minho jogged over to everyone.

Chuck ran over to me on his stubby legs and started jumping up and down with the happiest smile I'd ever seen.

"We did it, Y/N! We escaped the Maze together!" He reached over and hugged my waist. I hugged back, tangling my fingers in his hair.

I heard Minho shout, "C'mon guys! Let's get out of here!"

Everyone started jogging toward an opening door. We all walked through it as I met up with Thomas and held his hand. He looked over at me and sent a reassuring smile.

We made it to a door that said "EXIT." I pushed open the door and saw a room with clear glass lining the walls. Dead bodies were everywhere, some of the glass was shattered, and the place was a mess.

"What the shuck happened here..?" I muttered. Thomas seemed to have heard me, and held me close to him. We all slowly walked around the room, examining things.

Thomas and I found a small table with an odd button on it. He looked at me, and I nodded. He pressed the button and a lady showed up on the screen. She had blonde hair pulled into a bun, and was wearing a white outfit.

She began to explain that there was a virus going around caused by the massive sun flares called the Flare. At the end, she raised a gun to her head and my eyes widened.

I buried my face in Thomas's chest and he hugged me when I heard her preach her final words, "WICKED is good," before the bullet went off, ending her life. I let out a shaky sigh as Thomas stroked my hair.

"Let's get out of here," I whispered to Thomas, looking up at him with tears in my eyes. I just wanted to leave.

He nodded, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers as we set off for the broken world-

"Not so fast."

Everyone turned to look at... Gally. He was crying and was holding a knife. There was something off about him.

"Gally, we're free. We can go," I said to him.

He shook his head before saying the most menacing words that I knew would be stuck in my mind until my dying breath.

"I belong to the Maze. We all do." He threw the knife at Thomas as I squeezed my eyes shut. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Thomas who didn't have a knife in his chest.

I looked over and saw the boy who did. Chuck.

"Thomas," he muttered. Chuck fell into Thomas's arms as Thomas began to cry. Not long after, Chuck's chest fell still and no breath entered his lungs.

Thomas looked like he was filled with blood lust. He jumped at Gally and beat his face to a pulp. He was bleeding everywhere and I knew there wasn't any possible way he could've survived.

I raced over and tried to pry Thomas off of Gally.

"Thomas!" I shrieked. He finally looked over at me with tears pooling down his face, blood and dirt splattered all across his body; especially his knuckles.

"We need to go," I whispered to him. His lips trembled as he began to weep again. I engulfed him in a hug as he clung to me with shaking hands when we were suddenly torn apart by people in black suits, masks, and large guns.

They were telling us to follow them, so we did. We followed them outside when we were met with a helicopter big enough to fit all of us. I looked and saw everyone who made it alive and well out of the Maze.

Thomas, Minho, Newt, Teresa, Frypan, Winston, and me. Y/N. I snatched Thomas's hand and ran toward the helicopter. Everyone was seated as we began liftoff.

Thomas's strong arms were wrapped around me protectively as I cuddled into his chest, his warmth and heartbeat lulling me to sleep.

My breathing slowed and my eyelids became heavy, and just before sleep consumed me, I heard a tired but full of love whisper come from Thomas.

"I love you, Y/N."

And, in that moment, I knew I was never to be thought of as The Silent, Lonely Girl.

I was to be known as The Strong, Surviving Girl.

Book two is on my page