Chapter 11: Thomas sees me so I try to kill him

Thomas's P.O.V

As I was talking with Newt, the girl from last night never left my head. I could still see the horror in her E/C eyes.

Newt rambled on and on about how to dig up the soil to plant tomato seeds, but I eventually tuned him and the other Gladers out to take a moment to listen.

To listen to the wind tickling the trees, to listen to the birds chirping from the Deadheads, to listen to.... The most angelic voice I've ever heard?

The voice was feminine, light, and beautiful. Her pitch lined perfectly with the soft wind and chirping animals, even though she was only whistling.
I turned to Newt, who seemed aggravated at my lack of being able to listen.

"Do you hear that?"

"Hear what, Tommy? I don't hear a bloody thing except my own voice, which you aren't paying a shuck bit of attention to!"

"I'm gonna go check it out."

Before Newt could respond, I jogged to the Deadheads. Not into them, but outside of them.

Just as I'd guessed, the girl was there, singing about a cruel summer. She finished with a sigh, then looked around.

The gleaming sunlight burst through the trees and shined right on her. I was finally able to get a good look at her, and my jaw dropped.

She had stunning H/L, H/C hair, a black tank top with black shorts, fingerless gloves, shiny S/C skin, and soft pink lips curved up into a grin.

She suddenly locked eyes with mine and we stared. She swallowed, then started to run away into the darkness of the cold forest.

"Wait!" I yelled.

"Stop!"

I darted into the Deadheads and chased after her, when I realized that she wasn't there to chase. Where was she?

I was suddenly pulled to the side and slammed against a tree, a hand covering my mouth as the blade of a knife was pressed against my throat.

It was none other than the girl.

"Why are you here?! Why do you keep finding me?! Why can't you just leave me alone like the others?!"

I was shaking and dripping with sweat. She sighed and calmed a little, but was still angry.

"You are going to go back to the Glade, get a job, and never come back here. Understand?"

I sighed into her palm as I nodded slowly as she removed her hand from my mouth.

"Hey! Tommy! Where are you?! Can't you bloody answer me?!"

I heard a British accent call out for me as the girl's eyes grew wide.
"I need to get out of here..." She muttered.

She darted off deeper into the forest, leaving me to fend for myself with the blonde boy.

"Tommy! Why did you run off into the bloody Deadheads, there's bodies here ya know!"

I turned to him and tried to come up with the best answer I could without ratting out the girl.

"I... I saw.... A.... bug...?"

"Ah, a Beetle Blade. Nasty buggers, I tell ya. It's how the Creators watch our every move. Come on, Tommy. Let's head back, yeah?"

I sighed, following Newt out of the Deadheads as more questions about the girl rose in my head.