Chapter 21: Thomas asks me to be his girlfriend

Three days later...

Thomas told me that he was nominated to be a Runner, and I couldn't have been prouder of him. After every run, he'd come with Minho to the Map Room, leave, and for the rest of the day hang out with me. Whenever it was 10:00, he'd go back to his hammock.

I woke up to the rising sun and commotion coming from the Glade, most likely boys working. I stretched and took a big swig of water; My mouth was dry from sleeping.

I carefully swung my legs to the other side of the hammock and slowly stepped out, minding my broken foot, which was healing rather quickly. I snatched an apple from my bag and took a big chomp out of it, enjoying the juicy crunch it gave.

Nothing much happened that day, until Thomas came back. As usual, he and Minho went to the Map room while chatting and teasing each other. They both came back out fifteen minutes later and Minho bid Thomas goodbye.

I heard footsteps coming toward me and soon enough, I saw Thomas with a silly grin on his face with a tint of red on his cheeks.

"Hey, N/N."

"Hey, Tom. How was running?"

"Eh, the usual. My legs getting sore, my lungs about to burst, but I'm glad I'm helping find a way out of this place."

"I'm happy too..... Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything, Y/N."

"If you were to find a way out, would you take me with you?"

"Of course I would, Y/N. I would never leave you behind. Which reminds me of my next question..."

"What is it?"

Thomas walked closer to me, taking me by the hands and lifting me off of my hammock. He held my sides as I rested my hands on his shoulders. His sweet brown eyes kept glancing from my E/C ones and my lips.

He leaned in and so did I, connecting our lips as we kissed. He muttered something as he rested his forehead on mine, which caught me off guard.

"Will you be my girlfriend, Y/N?"

"W-What?"

"I know this might sound rushed, but I... I love you, Y/N."

"You... you do?"

"Why would I not?"

He crashed his lips into mine and pulled me closer, one hand on my back and the other on the back of my head. We both pulled away for air and locked eyes. He looked serious about the question.

"Answer me, Y/N. Please. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"I-I...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

...Yes."