32.

Your muscles scream as you move, your mind sluggish with exhaustion. The room you're in is quiet and empty, and dark. Surprisingly dark, you must have been out for a long time. You think about the events leading to your unconscious, feeling pride in yourself as you settle back down to sleep more.

A scream disrupts your thoughts, muffled and above you. You listen carefully and begin to pick the sounds of other people yelling out amongst the silence. You force yourself out of bed, running to the door. Perhaps you can be no help in the attack, but you can't just sit here and not try. You fling the door open, coming face to face with a wall. It's confusing, and the texture of it as you run your hand over it is strange.

Sand? You dig your fingers in and it seems to move around them, "Gaara?" You pull back, finding a light switch to actually see things in the room. You really were alone it seemed, the windows had the same sand wall locking you in.. or perhaps protecting you. You return to the door, wondering how far this wall goes.

A hand claws through the wall, you're surprised they managed to get that far through when the sand crushes it. You flinch and back away, wondering if it could have been your hand if you'd kept pushing into the sand. You watch the hand retreat painfully, the red soaking into the sand and disappearing into the always shifting wall. You carefully place your hands on the wall.

"Let me out, please." The sand pushes against your palm, almost like it's bubbling, but doesn't move to let you out. "I want to help."

The wall still makes no attempt to free you. "(Y/n)." You jump when Sakura speaks.

"Sakura, what's happening?" You ask, turning to her. The wall bubbles under your hand again and you move away from it.

"The attack on Konoha," you glance to the wall of sand and she makes a small noise of understanding. "Gaara."

"Really? The sand is Gaara?" She rolls her eyes.

"He's protecting you, Baki heard there was a command from the 'Kazekage' to take you alive. And, knowing what he does.." That the Kazekage is Orochimaru. "He asked Gaara to protect you."

There was way to much to feel about that revelation. Baki caring about you, once again. Gaara protecting you. Orochimaru's interest wasn't new but it was unnerving. "So I'm stuck in here?"

"Yes. Get comfy." You look around the room, your bag missing but your bow is here. You pick it up and settle on the bed.

"Will they all be okay?"

"Yeah. If things go according to the manga."

'And the Kazekage?'

"Dead. They should have already found his body.. someone tipped them off."

'I was too late?'

"No. Never think of it like that, you've got way too much on your plate."

'But if I'd told Baki sooner..'

"If you'd told Baki sooner and got the attack called off, Orochimaru might have killed you. Or worse. You're safety is just as important as anyone else's." You sigh, guilt was overwhelming but you knew she was right.

You lean back, against the headboard of your bed, and stare at the sand wall. 'Can't I do anything to help?"

"Maybe Gaara will let you, if you ask nicely. But.." You'd already tried that and he'd refused. But you get up anyway.

"Is Sasuke okay?"

No answer.

"Are you?"

It bubbles a bit but not as much as before.