38.

"Kitty," you called out as he came home. He looked exhausted.

        "(Y/n)." He greeted you back.

        "I heard Naruto was on his way back." He closes his eyes, removing his mask as he collapses on the couch.

        "He'd better be, I am so tired of playing Hokage."        

        "Yeah, you can go back to reading your dirty little books again and sitting around."

        "Hmm.. and what are you going to do?"

        "Join the Akatsuki."

        "Fat chance." He says with a snort, shaking his head at your ridiculousness.

        "I'm serious." You frown, leaning forward. "Which is what I want to talk to you about."

        "Oh yeah?"

        "You're still Hokage, can't you sign me up for a super secret infiltration mission?"

        "Why would I ever?"

        "Okay, time to tell you about my plan." He nods, urging you to continue. "Sasuke is going to join Orochimaru's team in order to grow big and strong, he's like broccoli."

        "Broc- never mind." He decides not to fight with you about your weird comparisons.

        "Smart man. Okay, so he does that and the same day he goes to Orochimaru and everyone's running after him.. I'll go meet with Itachi and he'll take me to their base. And then I tear them down from the inside out."

        "Hmm.." He seems to be considering it. "No. God no. When hell freezes over, still no."

        "Come on." 

        "No! Do you even know what it is you're getting yourself into?"        

        "I'll have Sakura to help me, I won't be completely blind." That was untrue, Naruto likely wouldn't know what's happening to you majority of the time but he didn't need to know that.

        "(Y/n).."

        "Trust me, okay?"

        He sighs, he knows there's just no convincing you of anything. "How sure can you be that you'll be safe?"

        "I'll be just as safe with them as I am here." You're sure on that one.

        "I can't send you on a secret mission, but I won't stop you from leaving if you wish to."

        "I do.. I really think I can save them." 

        "Does Sasuke have to go with him.."

        "I think it's best for him, but ultimately I will allow him to make his own decisions."

        "Okay."

        "Penny for your thoughts?"

        He laughs a little. "Who would have thought all my students would be finding their own teachers already?"

        "Well.. you'll always be my favorite teacher. And a very good friend."

        "It's not goodbye yet." He shakes his head, then he pauses. "Is it?"

        He knows the answer when he looks at you. "My bag is all packed and everything."

        "This is so soon.."