39.

You stretch out on the hard ground, your blanket doing little to keep the cold from the rocks from reaching you. After Konan had left Itachi and Kisame had returned and informed you that you would be sleeping here before carrying on your journey tomorrow. You feel a nudge.

        "Hey, wake up already." That voice..         

        "Deidara?" You sit up, staring at the blonde.

        "Hey you, let's go already, hmm."

        "Where did Itachi and Kisame go?" You just see Deidara, not even Sasori was here.

        "They had a mission they were supposed to do after killing you but, obviously, Leader-same spared you, un." He smiled, "come on. We're flying."

        "Flying?" You get up, shoving your blanket in your bag and following Deidara out of the cave. He motioned for you to stop a moment outside and pulled some clay out. Was he going to do the thing? Were you going to fly on one of those big clay birds? When he made one you couldn't hide your excitement. "Holy shit, I actually get to fly? Wait, are there seatbelts?"

        "Ha, seatbelts. What are those?" He stepped up the wing, offering his hand to grab yours and pull you up with him. He moves you towards the front, directing you how to sit. "You any good at chakra control?"

        "I'm supposed to use chakra control the whole ride?"

        "No, you don't have to but if you feel like you might slide off I suggest using it."

        "Got it. Are we going to be able to breath well?"

        "You ask such silly questions, yeah." You scoff at him, but he pays no mind as he controls the bird and takes flight. Immediately you focus chakra into your hands to hold on. Quickly relaxing as you watch the scenery, this was unreal. Like nothing you'd ever seen before and in the best way. You wonder if you could make something like this and fly on your own. 

        "It's so pretty.." You thought for a bit. "Am I going to get bugs in my mouth?"

        "What?" It seemed he couldn't hear you well over the wind. He taps your side before basically yelling in your ear. "Want to have some fun?" 

        "No!" He laughs and directs the bird higher into the sky before diving, it feels like you're moving a lot faster now and your hands are planted firmly on the clay surface. He steadies the bird out, moving at a steady pace. It takes a moment for you to relax again, it's hard to feel secure on the bird when it's doing anything besides a straight line. But after another half hour you feel good enough to remove your hands, resting them in your lap. 

        "Hungry?"

        "Yeah, a bit." You hadn't really even thought about it before he mentioned it but you were starving. 

        He reaches into his bag and offers you a small box. "Breakfast, hm."

        "Thank you!" You felt like you deserved a good meal, he slowed down a bit so you could eat and just enjoy the view.

        "What did you say to Leader-sama?"

        "That is unfortunately a secret but we made a deal."

        "You think you can do it, yeah?"

        "Absolutely, I'm great and lovable and who could hurt me?"

        "I've heard Orochimaru wants to get his hands on you, un."

        "Ew, what?"

        "Yeah, everyone wants to use your psychic abilities for their own personal gain. Leader-sama is no different, hmm."