vii. a day off

Y/N

Y/N

"You have the day off today," Seet Yan told me.

Ah, crap. I forgot. I heaved out a sigh as I muttered a sorry to her. There were quite a few customers, but they're customers nonetheless. I've gotten so used to work that a free day seems out of the ordinary. Still, now that I got one I have to make use of it. Seet Yan patted my shoulder, understandingly.

"its a Friday anyways, there's usually less customers at this time of the week."

I nodded at her, she was right. Now that I think about it, a little free time could be great. and so, I exited the fragrance store to spend my free day. Alone? with my parents? definitely not. I'd rather be alone than go back to them.

That's it, I decided to walk around and enjoy my free time outside. The last thing I want is to stress myself out today. There were food stalls, drink stalls, and jewellery shops; a variety of customers wade through the stalls.

It was a nice place to window shop, but I didn't exactly have where to go in mind.

"Ack!?"

Out of nowhere, darkness consumed my sight. I saw nothing. I felt the whispers of multiple people as they dragged me somewhere. One of them managed to cover my mouth so screaming for help is futile. I felt the adrenaline kicking in, panic is set in stone. My heartbeat fastened as my mind jumbled into a frenzy.

what the hell is happening? where are they taking me? what did I do??

I haven't done anything wrong, have I? I swear I tried to follow the rules of law, maybe they took me for someone else?? What's happening...

After struggling in the hands of literal strangers, I was pushed to the ground, the cover on my eye was pulled away roughly. I covered my eye as I gather my bearings, my head was spinning with daze.

I could tell from the texture of the ground and the smell that I'm in an alleyway, probably not too far from where I was a few moments ago. But these men... I could tell they're angry. I folded my knees closer to my body, I don't know what they want and I don't know what they're gonna do..

"why the hell didn't you die?!" One man screamed.

"I though for sure she was dead when we left her," another questions themselves.

what???

I didn't do anything, what the hell is this about dying?? I haven't put myself into serious situations, as far as I know. I know my parents wouldn't.... I hope so.

"We just have to do it again, then."

"Boss, that's too rash!?"

"What do I care about rash?!"

What are they talking about....? one of these men crouched beside me and pulled my hair, I couldn't help but wince in pain at the harsh tug.

"Did he do anything to prevent you from dying?"

"w... what...?" I coughed, finally speaking to them.

"Is this some kind of joke to you?? you think we're playing!?" who I presumed was the 'boss' yelled with all his might. He seemed so frustrated but I have no clue what's happening.

"I... I have no idea what you're s-saying, I—"

SLAP!

my cheeks sting, my hands both covered my cheeks as it was stinging. Holy hell... I taste blood. I think I can feel my lip bleeding...

"You tell and you will tell me RIGHT NOW. How are you still here!?" the boss held my chin so roughly, and not to mention one of his henchmen is still holding onto my hair.

"I really don't know... what you're talking about, please. I don't know what's going on, I don't know what's happening right now..." frantically I tried to defend myself. My lips quivered, my breath fast as I spit out any word that I can to defend myself. They seemed so serious, so irritated, so... mad? angry?

I wanna leave so bad....

"Boss, maybe we have the wrong person—"

"I know who I fucking killed, you swine." The boss spits on the ground, right in front of me.

"You didn't think he successfully revive a dead person?" One of the quieter henchmen voiced, which brought silence in the tense atmosphere.

Though they seemed to understand whatever the context was, I found myself clueless and even more confused. Successfully reviving a dead person? That can happen?

"You know very well that is an impossible feat." After such a long silence, the boss responded.

"its Luocha we're talking about, its possible if he managed to do it once."

"The more reason I despise seeing this girl alive and walking about!"

"Maybe we shouldn't do anything just yet..."

Luocha...? He's somehow connected to these people? So many questions ran through my mind but I have no energy to even try and think about a resolve to one of the questions.

Luocha? reviving a dead person? are these people out to get Luocha too? A feeling of dread coursed its way throughout my body, the sense of someone you know being in danger brings you a great deal of worry.

The henchmen who's been holding my hair pushed me to the ground, resulting in me falling. The boss then placed his feet on my head, putting more and more force that I felt a headache incoming.

"You're lucky this once, Y/N. Once my boss gives me the green light, the next time we meet you won't get out of it alive... again."