xii. closing shift

Y/N

Y/N

"Phew..." I sat down on the counter, heaving out a deep breath. It was my turn to close the store, hence I had to do a bit of a cleaning before closing. There was a bit of a mess today and so, the amount of cleaning I had to do was doubled. Nonetheless I'm finally done. Can't wait to rest back home.

"woof!"

Ah, Hui. I beckoned him with a new treat I bought before starting my shift. Every dog owner seems to buy it and so I'd like to try it out with Hui. Upon seeing the treat, he ran over to me; excited for the treat. Huh... I guess it was a good idea to buy this.

Having Hui as a pet is beginning to grow on me; mot that it hasn't been, just the thought of suddenly having a pet bewildered me. It took me some getting used to, especially since I've never had a pet before. Hui was a bubbly, energetic dog; his energy far surpassed mine, but he seemed to know how to calm down upon reaching my home. I guess he also got the calming vibes from my house?

"woof! woof!!"

"No more, Hui. Maybe next time, okay?" I smiled as I kept the dog treat away. Now to finally close the store. It has been exceptionally tiring today and I wanted to get some shut eye as soon as possible; maybe a quick warm shower will do.

DING!!

huh? I remember turning the card to CLOSED when I cleaned up the store. Is it Seet Yan? Grabbing my bag I quickly followed Hui to see who may be at the front door. Hui was sprinting towards the door, the golden retriever growled at whatever was there. Though when I saw the front door; which has a glass window on the top side of the door, I see no one.

Huh, maybe there's a kid who wants to prank? There's no way. Hui barked ferociously, his growls were something I've never heard of before. I tried to calm him down but to no avail, he kept on barking.

I took a final glance of the store before stepping out— only to see a paper bag sitting right in front of the door. Hui wasted no time to tackle the bag, though the only thing that fell from the bag is a small container with a note on it. Hui basically bit the bag beyond repair— I think there's no saving it.

The container has something inside, that's for sure. One shake and I could tell this thing is heavy. Everything about this container (including the note) seems off; I couldn't quite place why. Hui was barking and its a bark I've never heard of before, there were no one present at all in the streets, just me and Hui. It was... weird.

"I should just open this at home, should I?"I asked no one in particular, though Hui seems to be answering me by pawing my legs. I guess I should; being out in the open like this somehow feels unsafe with this packaging in my hand.

click.

Right as I was talking about the open streets, I heard a click— I swear I heard it. I turned around instantly to check behind me; it could be a stranger, it could be a stalker for all I know— Heck it could be anyone, and I felt immensely unsafe when I saw no one behind me at all.

My heartbeat picked up its pace as I felt the sudden urge to go back home right this instant; to add to this feeling, Hui had been snarling st whatever was behing me; which sure, confirms that he heard it too but it doesn't make me feel better knowing that I surely heard something behind me.

"Come on, Hui. Lets go home," I gave him a pat on the head before walking towards home....

... Though when I turn back around to go home, my surroundings changed. It changed drastically. There were people walking and talking around me; it was day time, and the sunlight was oddly blinding in my eyes. Everything looked hazy, even the people walking past me looked hazy. Everyone was chattering at the same time, yet I couldn't understand what they were truly saying.

Everything was blinded by the sunlight, the name of the stores, the face of the people, its like they're here... but at the same time not. It felt so odd.

"C'mere, little Hui! That's it!"

Was that my voice? I didn't think I said that, though the voice really sounded like mine... My vision focuses on the little golden retriever not too far from where I'm standing; a small treat in my hands as I ushered for the little dog to come to me.

But that wasn't me speaking... and that's certainly not my hand....

little Hui wagged his tail as he excitedly ran towards me, a light woof could be heard from the little guy as he pounced at me, nibbling on the treat in my hand. A small laughter came from.. me?... as I rubbed his back. Hui looks so small...

"Good boy," its my voice again. But I know I haven't really said a thing. "Who's a good boy, huh?"

Little Hui seems much happier than he is now, that's for certain. The small dog, the happier vibe, the voice similar to mine...

could this be who I think it might be?

Impossible; we already look the same, how do we exactly sound alike? I would've thought Hui's past owner would sound more mature, but... exactly similar to mine? How very convenient. Its no wonder Hui's easily attached to me, despite him not even being with me for a week yet. Hui seems confused on who his owner really is, and I'm confused on who this past owner might be.

"Agh, my head..." Now that's me, and I could feel my head burning. Its like dipping my head in oil and setting fire to it; it felt hot and painful... It even affects my vision. I could feel myself wobbling, but my vision doesn't exactly portray what I was feeling. I was still there with Hui, petting him in adoration; while I'm right here with a headache that seems to come out of nowhere.

"Hui..." I whispered, hoping the real Hui would hear me. I could hear his more mature barks, compared to the one I saw and heard just before in this... dream? I don't exactly know what's going on.

I could feel Hui tugging on my legs, the real Hui. Though my vision is getting blurry, the dream-like state felt like a fog as it dissipates into thin air, the real dark night entering my vision as it continued to feel blurry and hazy. Why is it chilly all of a sudden? So cold...

Hui was barking at me, pawing at my legs more often as his barks grew louder and more... desperate? I couldn't tell. I placed my hand on my head, though it took me a great amount of energy to do just that. Why am I feeling so weak all of the sudden...

My bearings are all wonky, I feel light. The cold air hit me like a wave as I could feel my vision faded to absolutely nothing; I could feel myself falling, its as if I have no control over my body anymore. The last thing I heard is Hui barking at me, the poor Hui had been nudging his nose on me to see if I was okay...

... and I fell unconscious.