Chapter 13: Shizue

Heyo, Vivian at 90k words. 

Word count like 2.6

Again? How?

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Charlie's POV:

That name really meant about nothing to me. 'Who?'

Sammy visibly sighed in front of me and gestured to Emy. "You explain it, you'll explain this to her better."

Emy nodded softly before turning to me and smiling brightly. "She is a really strong hero for the guild from a long time ago, she is known for wearing a white mask, and command a flame spirit called Ifrit."

'How do you even know all that?' I gave Emy a pat on the head impulsively.

"A lot of stories are told about her at school." She leaned into the headpat before turning back to the doorway as the woman exited it. "Are you sure, Sammy?"

"I think so... But not sure." She turned back to me. "I'm just worried about you, since, you know..."

'Don't worry about it. I can leave if I need to. Plus she doesn't seem to have it in for me...' I looked back over to the woman myself. 'Just seems to be watching me, only a little creepy...'

I stopped broadcasting my thoughts, seeing as the woman was walking back over to us.

Sammy nodded and turned to the adventurer. "Thank you for your help, miss Shizu."

It almost felt like she was smiling under the mask, not that I could see that. "You are welcome. You can all be on your way now, stay safe."

...

Despite saying we could be on our way, I was able to notice her trailing us a few more times. I was just too worried to confront her in the middle of the market, and especially worried about doing it in broad daylight.

Not that I felt particularly confident about confronting the woman in general. It just seemed like an especially bad idea in broad daylight with how powerful she seemed.

I was glad that it didn't seem like the others had noticed the woman at all.

Well, at least not until she stepped in front of us at the town gate. "Charlie." She simply said my name, and honestly her being someone of so few words after watching me all day really put me on edge.

I ignored it for now though, and just spoke to her with thought communication. 'Yes?'

It was only Sammy, Jane, and myself now. We'd returned Emy to the school, which mean I didn't need to be quite as worried about just disappearing if it came to that, so it was very tempting.

"Would you like to come to the inn I am staying in? For dinner I mean. I'd like to speak with you." Shizu's words were very steady, and I had a pretty good eye for them being very calculated. Like a restaurant manager or one of the corporate higher ups would speak.

I glanced over to Sammy and Jane. Then turned back. 'Can I bring anyone else?'

"You may, if you need to." The woman stepped back a bit, seeming to notice how close she was standing by having stepped out right in front of us.

I felt myself sigh internally, as a little click happened somewhere in my chest again. 'Alright.' I turned to Sammy and Jane. 'I'm gonna take those two back home first, though.'

Sammy glared softly at me, and I definitely noticed. Meanwhile Jane just nodded tiredly, she'd done a bit of walking today.

"Here." Shizu pushed a people of paper into my hand before disappearing into a crowd entering the city.