Chapter 15: FIRE!

Heyo, Vivian at 100k words.

Word count like a like a lot

Charlie focused

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Charlie's POV:

Almost a week had passed since I'd met that Shizu lady, and in that time I'd realized part of the reason she looked so weird. She may have looked young, but she was actually very old. It also explained why she used to be the hero of the guild rather than she still was. I wouldn't say any of this to her, of course, but it was notable in my mind.

I learned this from watching her over that time just to make sure she was being honest about what she said, I would not allow her to go after me. If she was planning to, I'd just leave.

Hopefully I'd take Emy with me, but that isn't always an option. I could only save her if I stayed alive, after all.

As for progress on the cabin, it had gone well. The contractors were helpful in letting me figure everything I needed out. They tried to upsell me on quotes all the time for specific parts or a crew to build the house, but I didn't need any of that.

All I needed was my own skills, and that much was enough.

This all left me with a respectable three room cabin. I separated the dining room and kitchen from the living room simply out of impulse. I also only needed one bedroom for the time being, since me and Emy had nothing to hide from each other if she would be staying with me.

Of course, this was all planned. I had no furniture. I didn't really have much insulation either beyond the logs themselves and the support beams, along with some curing that I'd been advised to put on them.

So it was more or less just three empty rooms. Very much the shell of a place you'd actually want to live.

Sammy had seemed to take a liking to following Shizu around too, although she was more obvious about it. She seemed to idolize the lady, and to a certain degree I could understand why. For a human, she was impressive. I couldn't say she was impressive in general after seeing Veldora though. He completely destroyed my scale of things.

Sammy following Shizu around did have one effect though, Sammy had been granted permission to get an adventurers license by Fuze, with a convincing session apparently headed by Shizu. I didn't like the sound of it, so I was happy I wasn't there.

The only part I was annoyed about is that I was volunteered to be her partner in the exam, to get a license as well. I didn't know who to suspect as far as who suggested it, but I wasn't happy to learn I had been set up for it without even being asked.

I did want a license, just so I had an excuse to be as strong as I was without putting up alarm bells for people, but I didn't want to be forced into it.

That ends the lighter topics, because I had a serious worry as well. Emy's condition was now rapidly getting worse. The two large pieces of her soul were starting to deepen their crack, and I was deeply worried without intervention they may actually break apart.

It was beginning to force my hand... I had an idea though.

One provided by Vee, secondhandedly. Emy had been begging me to improve the butterfly's body over the week as well, so I'd been setting aside metal scraps and tougher fabric to combine with the current doll body.

I'd been able to give Vee a workable endo-skeleton, one similar to my own. However it was simply made of copper and bronze scraps I'd collected. I'd mostly avoided iron, because I didn't want rust to start growing inside Vee. Otherwise I'd need to take her apart again later.