Chapter 14: Palace Guards

Heyo, Vivian at 95k words.

Word count like 2.8

William focused chapter, please enjoy. 

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Mouse's POV:

After exiting the hole I'd create in the wall, I managed to catch a scent on my nose.

It smelled like some kind of food I'd found before. It was liquid when eaten for long, but it was smooth and sticky otherwise.

I searched around the room until I eventually found it, stuck to a piece of metal. It didn't seem like the two big creatures in the room were nearby. So I attempted to steal the food while I had my chance.

A moment later, I felt nothing but a burning sensation in my head as I screamed in pain. Then, I found I couldn't breath. I was slowly dying, in burning pain. I couldn't even feel my body.

I needed to get back to my nest, and return food to my pups, but I wouldn't be able to do that.

I was going to die here.

I did, die there.

Then I felt a horrible pain deep within the black space I found myself in. I saw a horrible monster of purple that slashed me open, whatever I was. Then I was carefully placed inside something I could only see around.

I frantically grabbed onto it in a futile attempt that I'd perhaps be able to come back. I'd be able to go back into my nest, and help my pups grow up. So I wouldn't fail.

A small thing I'd seen on the large raised wooden plate in the room, a small metal thing which made clicking noises when the two large creatures wound it.

It would hop around, and play a little tune.

I found that, I was it.

________________________________________________________________________________

William's POV:

Walking back into the old man's lab I found that one of the traps had caught another mouse. This was one I was looking for as well, it had been raising a litter of pups, as such it was the perfect candidate for one of the old man's theories.

I plucked the trap off the floor and walked over to my own table in the lab, before carefully pressing my finger into the mouse and cracking its soul apart with my skill. Then, I pulled on the remnant until it danced across my finger tips.

After that, I brought the remnant over to a small wind up toy, and fused the remnant into it.

Several moments later, the toy began wounding itself up, as the soul of the mouse directed it to try and hop off of the desk.

I chuckled and grabbed onto the toy, before setting it into a small basket of successful attempts.

That made five.

"Something so incredible truly shouldn't be so simply." The old man spoke as he peeked into the basket, I hadn't notice him enter the room.

"Well, it is. I didn't expect it to be so easy myself. Puncturing the soul is simple, what is hard is finding a good candidate." I grumbled a bit, as I knew that finding a good human candidate may be harder if the old man was right.

"So. Do I win the bet? Based on what you described, I knew I must be correct." The old man smirked pridefully before walking over to one of his desks and taking down a book from the shelf atop it.