Chapter 16: Decisions

Merry Krima, Vivian at 105k words.

Word count is very reasonable

More Shizu is always nice!

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Charlie's POV:

I sat on a couch, in my own cabin. It felt oddly nice, something I'd missed out on in my own world. A house and life of my own, and all. Wasn't too regretful about it considering I'd seen plenty of adults that had money issues and could barely afford the birthday rentals at Freddy's, but still.

I might have enjoyed it more than most if he didn't go off his rocker.

Across from me enjoying a new chair I bought was Sarah, she was pinching the bridge of her nose softly while doing it, but she still enjoyed the comfort and the throw blanket.

"It wouldn't be safe to take the girl out into the forest, and I do not believe Fuze would allow us to do so either." As for what Sarah was doing here with me, she was attempting to be a voice of reason to keep me from doing anything stupid, and I respected her for it.

Although, in this case, I knew better. I could clearly see it was the case. Without intervention Emy would die, and I was unsure if it would be permanent or not considering I didn't quite know how souls worked in total.

If the soul broke apart, would that mean a permanent death? Or simply a longer wait to reincarnate like we already have? I wasn't entire sure, but I didn't want to find out. Especially considering I'd seen an old dying person or two while out in Blumund, while shopping.

Their souls looked nothing like Emy's, even if they were stressed keeping up the health of a dying body, they were not damaged. That was what I knew for certain.

It was distressing as well, because it meant that what was happening to Emy was not normal, and that it required drastic measures, and no waiting time. None at all.

I couldn't risk it.

Not only did the girl believe in me, she thought she was safe with me. I couldn't allow that to be false either, for my own sake as much as hers.

"You aren't responding Charlie." Sarah sat up from the chair and stared at me solemnly.

'I just can't risk it.' I stretched my back and felt as those weird spinal joints shifted into a different arc. It was strange to have feeling in them now.

"It is more of a risk to take her into the forest. Perhaps her people have fled there to avoid persecution, but that does not mean it would be safe for her. You yourself have said that a high mana concentration could kill her." Sarah's points were entirely valid, but between Shizu and myself I was sure there was a way to remedy that, even if Shizu was unwilling to take us with her, we could tail the part she is going with until she has no choice but to allow us into it.

I knew it would frustrate the woman, but it was for the best, and for the safety of someone I cared about.

'It would be faster if we took her, and the problem would be remedied once we reach our destination...' That was, assuming I had the heart to do it to Emy again. It would be gruesome at best, even if she would accept it as necessary if told why.

I was hoping for an easier way to do it, to simply pull her into a new body, however I wasn't sure I could use my skill that way. Neither was I sure she would accept simply abandoning the body she was born into in this world.