Please don't be mad

Aria's Pov

I stilled as soon as the phone's dial tone was heard. It felt like my heart was beating in my head and throat, I'd never been this scared before. Not only was I going to walk right into the arms of a killer vampire, but I also had to try and trick two other vampires into making it to where I could escape.

I wasn't stupid, I knew the odds of me surviving this encounter was in the negatives but Bella was my sister and when push comes to shove we have to have each others backs.

It took a bit longer for the reality that I had no guarantee that my sister was still alive. I just hope that James would be satisfied enough with winning the game, that beating Edward would be enough for him to leave my sister alive. Despair gripped me; there was no way to bargain, nothing I could offer or withhold that could influence him.

I had to push back the terror and plan my escape from my vampire bodyguards. I had to think clearly, because Alice and Jasper were waiting for me, and evading them was absolutely essential, and absolutely impossible.

I was suddenly grateful that Jasper was gone. If he had been here to feel my anguish in the last five minutes, how could I have kept them from being suspicious? I choked back the dread, the anxiety, tried to stifle it. I couldn't afford it now. I didn't know when he would return.

I concentrated on my escape. I had to hope that my familiarity with the airport would turn the odds in my favor. Somehow, I had to keep Alice away...

I knew Alice was in the other room waiting for me, curious. But I had to deal with one more thing in private, before Jasper was back.

I had to accept that I wouldn't see Edward or my father again, not even one last glimpse of their faces to carry with me to the mirror room. I was going to hurt them, and I couldn't say goodbye. I let the waves of torture wash over me, have their way for a time. Then I pushed them back, too, and went to face Alice.

My eyes fell on a blank page of the hotel stationery on the desk. I went to it slowly, a plan forming. There was an envelope there, too. That was good.

"Alice," I asked slowly, without turning, keeping my voice level. "If I write a letter for my mother, would you give it to her? Leave it at the house, I mean."

"Sure, Aria." Her voice was careful but still filled with empathy. She could see me coming apart at the seams. I had to keep my emotions under better control but tears fell from my eyes without my consent.

I went into the bedroom again, and knelt next to the little bedside table to write.

"Edward," I wrote. My hand was shaking, the letters were hardly legible.

I love you. I am so sorry. He has my sister, and I have to try. I know it may not work. I am so very, very sorry.

Don't be angry with Alice and Jasper. If I get away from them it will be a miracle. Tell them thank you for me. Alice especially, please.

And please, please, don't come after him. That's what he wants. I think. I can't bear it if anyone has to be hurt because of me, especially you. Please, look after my dad, I have very little faith that Bella will live through this and I can't even begin to imagine what he's going to feel like when I leave him all alone.

I love you. Please forgive me.

Love, Aria

I folded the letter carefully, and sealed it in the envelope. Eventually he would find it. I only hoped he would understand, and listen to me just this once.

After I had left the letter where Alice would surely find it, it was time to put my acting skills to the test.

"Aria!" I heard my name being called by the pixie vampire.