Part 6 A New Life

Athanasia in a state of shock and confusion, laid back on the couch as her mind wandered. Clearly something is wrong. Claude never had a son so who is this boy??? Athanasias' mind spiralled, thinking of any kind of possibility of this ever happening. As her thoughts went on and on, the room became quiet. Too quiet even for Cluade. I mean, it wasn't just Athanasia who was quiet. Cale was sharing a fair share of confusion.

  'Son??!! Me?! THE SON OF THE EMPEROR?!!!' Was what filled Cale's mind. But in the mist of confusion, Cale remembered something. His goal. Quickly, Cale took the letter within his pocket and handed it over to Claude. Claude looked over at his son and a peculiar looking scar of Cale's forehead. Something he didn't notice before.With a sign he  opening the letter, Felix also reading the letter with him. It read:

  'Dear Emperor, if you have received this letter. That means Cale should be with you. If you haven't noticed his eyes, they are the same as yours. Pure crystal blue eyes. He is your son. You may take custody of Cale now as his mother has passed away. Please do not ask the boy about it. He gets very upset. Thank you and please take care of him.
-Duchess of Henituse'

  After Claude read the letter, he crushed it and threw it into the fireplace. A slight crush noise in the background. Claude's face did not show it but he was angry. Not only did they abandon him, Cale probably does not know about it.

  'Should he know' Claude thought. After a few moments of thought, Claude resolved with a single sentence. "Stay here as my son"

A moment of silence.........

  "But..." Cale responded after recovering from the shock. "No buts" Claude jumped in, a small smile on his face. He then turn over to Felix and commanded. "Order the maids to prepare a room for Cale in the Ruby Palace. Put it beside Athy's room."

  'It's official now..' Felix, Athanasia and Cale thought.

  As the room was being prepared, Cale stayed in the Imperial Palace guest room although Claude did not approve of it. Claude found it unfitting for a prince to stay in the guest room but Cale commented his appreciation.

  'Crazy..' Cale commented. His life had turned upside down in a matter of minutes. From a stepson of a duke to the son of the emperor. Although Cale appreciated this new life he has, he thought for a moment about his stepfather, Deruth. The one who cared for him since he was a baby. Should he go back? Well even if he wanted to, he couldn't just escape from the Palace. Especially to another continent. So with much further thought, Cale  decides to make the emperor hate him just enough to go home.

  'A brother..' Athy's eyes wandered her room. She has a brother now. With red hair too. She thought she knew it all but apparently the novel isn't all that true. '...Wait, can't I use him?' Athy thought for a moment. He may be the perfect opportunity to ever come up. He could catch Claude's affection and she would be left behind to escape. It was perfect.

Felix enters the Claude's room.
Claude: What is it, Felix.
Felix: Although I approve of your decision to take him in, don't you need to tell him about the letter? His abandonment.
Claude went silent, staring out of the window. Admiring the moolight before he spoke.
Claude: He doesn't need to know. He's....young. So not now. When he turns 20, i will tell him.
Felix: ... Very well then. Goodnight, your majesty.
Felix bowed and left without a sound.

Claude looking back at his memory. The scar Cale had on his forehead. It must have been a horrible place for him.

  ".. I will raise him well, Jour. Rest in peace"