chapter two

what now?

"So, do I need to call someone?" He said pacing back and forth in his living room.

"Didn't you hear me? There's no one to call..."

"Well, I can't just let you leave." He looked down at me with a hopeless look. He was still shaking and his voice was raspy.

"Why not?" I said growing irritated.

"Do you not recall what just happened to less than an hour ago?" He said, slightly raising his voice. Now he was growing irritated with me.

"I don't know what to te—"

"Odell, who are talking to? Did you find your charger on the roof?" I heard the familiar voice of earlier come out of the darkness of the bedroom.

He sighed with frustration, "I forgot she was here."

"Your girlfriend?"

"I don't even know her name."

I couldn't help but laugh. I could tell he was a total jackass, however, he was kind of a funny jackass.

After a moment, he started laughing too. He eventually stopped pacing and sat down on his couch beside me.

"What do we do now?" He said, not looking at me.

"I don't know. You kept me here. You figure it out." I replied with a shrug, looking down at my hands.

It was silent for along while as we sat in the dark, the only light coming from the moon. His apartment was nice; expensive.

"I'll just take you home." He said, looking at my emotionless face.

I slowly nodded, then rose from the couch. He followed suit and we made our way toward the door of his condo.

"Hold on a second..." He said, turning around.

"Where are you going?"

"She got to get the fuck out my house..."

•••

"We're here." I felt him nudge my shoulder. I had drifted off to sleep during the car ride. I let out a deep sigh before exiting his car. He got out and followed close behind.

I lived on the second floor of a fairly new apartment complex. Odell seemed to be looking to make sure no one noticed him. I was a bit confused, then I remembered he said he played football.

I bent down to retrieve the key from under the welcome mat and unlocked my door. I pushed the door open and walked in, leaving the door open for him behind me.

"Wow, this looks... empty." Odell said, stepping inside.

I only had a tattered couch in my living room and a small flatscreen that sat on the floor with newspaper under it.

"Thanks." I said dryly. I went to the kitchen to get some water.

He went and sat on the couch and whistles to himself lowly, "Listen, Raj. Tomorrow I'll go and see if I can get you some therapy sessions or something."

"Whatever..." I mumbled, leaning against my counter. He laid his head on the couch and shut his eyes.

"And I nee—"

I looked over to see he had fallen asleep mid sentence. I shook my head before putting away my water glass going into my bedroom to sleep.