Chapter 4

The full moon hung high in the sky, filling Leopardpaw with a sense of...sadness. She watched the snow-filled clouds drift slowly across the sky, covering the stars but staying free of the moon. I wonder how the gathering is going? Leopardpaw wondered. I imagine it must be nearing its end, it's too cold to let it go on for too long.

"Are you alright?" She heard the slightly concerned voice of Berryheart. Leopardpaw pulled her gaze down from the beautiful moon and towards her mentor.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just thinking about the gathering." Leopardpaw replied. "I kind of miss going, I liked seeing the other Clans."

"I know." Berryheart let out a small sigh. "But we'll return eventually." Will we? Violetstar made her conditions clear, and I'm not sure she's going to change her mind so easily.

The atmosphere of MoonClan ever since the death of Shadowstar had been heavy, but she felt the Clan was recovering. Despite that recovery, Violetstar was still driven for revenge. She had been focusing a lot of battle training and heavy patrols, making sure that AshClan wouldn't attack again and if they did, MoonClan would be prepared.

Leopardpaw wasn't sure on what to think of the entire conflict, she felt incredibly mad about the death of Shadowstar. She hated Riverstar's response of "she didn't mean to" because regardless, she did kill a Clan leader and she should pay the consequences of it. She acted like it was a simple mistake, but Leopardpaw didn't understand how taking another life could be considered a "simple mistake."

Despite all this, Leopardpaw didn't really want MoonClan to enter a war, she had no idea how long it would last and how many cats would die as a result. Leopardpaw didn't want to lose anyone close to her, and with the current harsh leaf-bare the Clans were going through, she didn't think it was the best time for fighting.

Despite Leopardpaw's own beliefs, it was clear that all of MoonClan supported Violetstar's choice. They supported their leader and trained hard, and so Leopardpaw would to. She was a MoonClan cat and she would stand by her Clan and leader no matter what.

"Leopardpaw?" She had spaced out once again but Berryheart got her attention. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Leopardpaw nodded. "Just a lot on my mind, but I'll be alright." She replied, making her voice light as to assure her mentor.

"If you say so." Berryheart nuzzled Leopardpaw's cheek affectionately. "You may be my apprentice but you're also my niece, and I'm here for you."

"I know." Leopardpaw responded happily, feeling warmed by Berryheart's warm words. "I promise I'm alright."

"Alright then." Berryheart touched her muzzle to Leopardpaw's forehead. "You should get some sleep, we have some training early tomorrow before it starts snowing hopefully."

"Okay." Leopardpaw nodded and gave one last glance up to the moon before turning away and heading towards the apprentice den. Upon heading to the den she spotted the moonhigh patrol returning to camp. At the head of it was Brokenclaw along with Ebonywing, Icepool, Mothpool and Shellstorm. Leopardpaw briefly caught Shellstorm's eye and he gave her a playful look which got a tiny giggle out of her. Feeling warmness in her chest, she turned away and entered the apprentice den.

When she stepped inside she spotted her brother, Ripplepaw, stretched out across a bundle of moss. After Shellstorm and his siblings left the apprentice den, Ripplepaw took full advantage of the mostly empty den. Leopardpaw tried telling him that he wouldn't be able to do that in the warrior's den, but he simply replied he would enjoy it while he could.

Leopardpaw shook her head at her goofy brother and settled into her own nest. She curled up into a tight ball and rested her tail over her nose and closing her eyes. She did her best to not the thoughts of war and strife haunt her while she slept. Thankfully, the sound of the wind and her brothers quiet snoring helped her to fall asleep quickly and into a dreamless sleep.