Chapter 10

"Take these, they'll make you feel better." Owlbreeze mewed, passing Sparrowpaw the bundle of feverfew. The sickly apprentice begrudgingly ate the feverfew before curling back up in his nest. Despite beating the initial sickness, late last night Sparrowpaw woke up with a high fever and was back in Owlbreeze's den. This caused a lot of stress for Mountainstar, but Owlbreeze wasn't worried about Sparrowpaw. His sickness was not major, the fever was making him miserable but he wasn't getting any worse.
Owlbreeze also had Troutstream, Hazelspring and Poppysong in her den all with white cough and fevers. She was managing them the best she could, and Troutstream was doing the best and she hoped he would be back in the warriors den in the next few days. Poppysong was the worse, teetering on the edge of whitecough and greencough. Owlbreeze felt a bit of nerves due to her, but she was keeping her calm. I have to. Owlbreeze reminded herself over and over. I'm the only medicine cat here, they need me to be at my best.

With all the sick cats cared for, Owlbreeze washed her paws in the cold water and stepped out. The air was brisk and she shivered the moment she left the safety of her den. She looked up towards the sky and saw ominous clouds far away. More snow tonight. She sighed, this leaf-bare had felt like it would never end. Newleaf can't get here soon enough. She could also see the moon faintly in the graying sky, tonight was the half-moon and Owlbreeze would be making the long journey to the Spirit Garden. She was excited to see Pebblestep and Honeyfrost again, but the walk would be long and cold.

I should probably head out here soon. Owlbreeze noted, she didn't want to get caught out in a snowstorm, and the other medicine cats had been leaving earlier as well to spend less time in the cold. She decided to help herself to a mouse to ease her hunger before the long and frigid walk through the forest.

She picked her mouse off the fresh-kill pile and huddled under a small overhang, sheltering her body from the snow. She would normally eat in her den, but the scent of sickness was starting to overwhelm her and she wanted a break, so she would handle the stinging ear tips while she ate.

She was nearly finished with her mouse when a voice called to her. She lifted her head and saw Mountainstar trotting towards her, presumably to question about the sick cats. "How are the sick warriors?"

"They're doing okay for now." Owlbreeze replied after swallowing her bite of prey. "Poppysong is the most at risk for developing greencough, but she's a strong warrior. Troutstream is also on the edge of it, but Sparrowpaw and Hazelspring still only have whitecough."

At the mention of her adoptive son, a shadow of fear crossed her eyes. "Will they be alright while you're gone tonight?"

Owlbreeze nods. "They've been given their herbs and none of them are at risk of dying. I wouldn't be going if I feared for their lives."

"I know, I know." Mountainstar breathed out a sigh. "I trust you to do what's best, it's just hard. After losing Tumbleweed--"

The death of Tumbleweed had also been looming over Owlbreeze, but his sickness had been incurable, there was nothing she could have done, yet that idea didn't do too much to soften the agony of his loss and she could only imagine the pain Mountainstar was feeling, that kind of trauma wasn't easy to shake off.

"Tumbleweed had an incurable illness." Owlbreeze forced herself to speak, she was a medicine cat and it was her duty to keep her leader as calm as possible. "Sparrowpaw and the others don't. Whitecough, and even greencough, are treatable. We have no elders, and while it's not impossible for a healthy cat to die from greencough, I have everything I need. We're a small Clan, and right now that's working in our favor."

Mountainstar's eyes sparkled with hope, but just for a moment. "Thank you, Owlbreeze." She dipped her head for a moment before glancing towards the sky. "You should probably leave soon, I'd hate for you to be late."