Chapter 7

"Breathe in." Owlbreeze instructed, her ear pressed against Poppysong's chest. The she-cat did as told and took a slow breath in. Owlbreeze could hear a faint rattle in her chest, and wheezing when she exhaled. "Your breathing has gotten a little worse." Owlbreeze mewed, trying to not let her anxieties show in her voice. I thought she was getting better.

"Am I okay?" Poppysong looked at Owlbreeze as she stepped backwards. The she-cat didn't look that scared, but there was uncertainty in her eyes.

"You're not in any danger." Owlbreeze replied honestly. "But the sickness is getting worse. You should stay in my den for the time being, hunting and patrolling could make it worse. You said it hurts when you breathe, right?"

"Sometimes." Poppysong responded with a nod. "Mostly after patrol or hunting like you said, and if I breathe too sharply I cough."

"I'd say you're in the beginning stages of whitecough." Owlbreeze concluded. "You'll stay in here for now where I can keep an eye on you and get you herbs as much as possible so we can try and fight it so it doesn't turn into greencough."

"How bad is greencough?" Poppysong questioned. "Is it deadly?"

"I've never dealt with it before," Owlbreeze admitted. "But I've been trained on how to treat it. It's not often deadly for strong, healthy warriors. More so for elders and kits, we're a small Clan and I have plenty of herbs so I'm not too worried." Owlbreeze had to hide her fears, she was MountainClan's sole medicine cat, she couldn't cause panic or doubt. "I'll do my best to care for you."

"I know you will." Poppysong purred happily. "Where should I stay?"

"I'll get a nest made for you, for now take some herbs." Owlbreeze picked some chickweed from her herb store and placed it front of Poppysong who ate it without complaint. Owlbreeze returned to her store, grabbing a large bundle of moss. She had several nests that she had made in her den, but they hadn't been used.

She added the moss to one of the nests towards the back, where Poppysong would be sheltered from the cold. She lined the bracken nest with the moss and made sure it was plenty comfortable for the she-cat. "Here you go." Owlbreeze motioned towards the nest.

Poppysong rose, wheezing as she did so, and settled down into the nest. "Comfy." She purred happily. "You make such good nests."

"Heh, thanks." Owlbreeze purred in return. "I'm going to go check on Riverstep," She told Poppysong. "Let me know if you need anything."

"If you see Fireclaw, please let him know that I'm okay. I know he's going to be worried."

"Of course, I think he's on patrol but I'll try and pass it on." Owlbreeze promised and left the den after dipping her head. The cold stone on her paws sent shivers up to her whiskers but she pressed on. MountainClan somehow felt colder than SunClan, she assumed it was because MountainClan camp was much higher.

She padded on towards the nursery, poking her head inside to check on the expecting queen. She expected to see Riverstep resting in her nest, but instead she was pacing around. There was an uncomfortable and slightly distressed look on her face.

"Are you alright, Riverstep?" Owlbreeze questioned, stepping into the nursery.

"I-I think so. I just feel weird, I hope nothing is wrong with the kits" Owlbreeze watched her closely, she was panting as well and her voice was chirpy. Owlbreeze felt a sudden rush of anxiety. It's time. "There's nothing wrong with the kits," I hope. "But I believe they're on their way."

"Now?" Riverstep's eyes went wide. "I-I'm not ready, it can't be time." She was panting faster, clearly starting to panic.

"It's okay, Riverstep." Owlbreeze assured her. "Everything will be okay, you need to calm down. You are ready, I promise." Her words didn't seem to have any calming effect. She's doing this without a mate, she must be terrified. Owlbreeze couldn't help but feel a sense of terror herself. The only queen who gave birth while I was in SunClan was Petalbreeze, and I got kicked out cause I was in the way. "I'm going to go get some herbs and send your sisters in here, they will keep you calm, okay?"