Chapter 21

Leopardpaw raced through the snow, chasing the hare that attempted to escape her, but Leopardpaw was faster. Her golden paws caught the plump hare and she sank her claws into its flesh, dragging it to a stop and killing it quickly. "Great catch!" Her brother called, trotting happily up to her.

"Thank you!" She mewed happily, her heart still racing from the chase, just excited to feel like Clan life was normal again. The storms had passed and Ripplepaw had finally been cleared to return to his duties. She was happy to be back training with her brother.

The aftermath of the battle and the storm was also starting to ease up, the loss of Frostfire was still tragic and Brokenclaw was still recovering from his eye injury, but Clan life felt...normal.

Leopardpaw knew deep down that it wouldn't last long. There was still a war going on, and she knew that not the storm had passed; everything would be starting up again. However, for now she just wanted to enjoy her days an apprentice and hunting with her brother and best friend for now.

It was Ripplepaw's turn to hunt and she watched as her brother tracked through the snow, looking at him she never even could've guessed that he had been injured. His paws were light and his eyes focused.

This was the type of weather that MoonClan cats thrived in, there was a lot of snow but their light and agile bodies navigated it easily. Running across the snow banks to catch their prey. The cold didn't bother her now that the wind had stopped. It was perfect, and she was going to enjoy her happiness.

She watched as Ripplepaw tracked down and chased after a rabbit, not as fast as her, but just as nimble and agile. He caught easily and walked back proudly. "Good job!" She praised her brother the same way he had her.

She knew that Tallsong and Berryheart were nearby, hunting their own prey. The MoonClan warriors had been working hard on restocking their fresh-kill piles after the storm as well as getting back into normal patrol schedules. They hadn't detected any AshClan scents but most agreed that it was only a matter of time.

Leopardpaw and Ripplepaw kept hunting, she managed to catch a sparrow and Ripplepaw caught another hare before they heard Tallsong and Berryheart calling for them. "We should go meet up with them." Leopardpaw said to her brother before they gathered their prey and met up with their mentors.

"Great work." Berryheart said with a wave of her tail. "You two have been working hard these past few days getting back into your training. It feels like you don't even need us anymore!" She mewed playfully.

Leopardpaw laughed in amusement and she could tell Tallsong shared the same sentiment. "We should get back." She mewed with a slight yawn. "We've been hunting since sunrise and its nearly sunhigh. When the others agreed, they began running back to camp. Not in a rush, but just enjoying the ability to run. MoonClan cats hated being stuck in their dens more than any other Clan and she knew her Clanmates were losing their minds being trapped in their dens for as long as they were.

They reached the camp in no time at all and the two apprentices set their fresh-kill down on the newly formed pile which was getting quite full. Some cats had even started fishing again, though Leopardpaw still thought it was a bit too cold for that. She was very much looking forwards to newleaf thought when all the fish would be in abundance.

While she made sure the fresh-kill pile was neat, she spotted Shellstorm out of the corner of his eye. His speckled silver pelt catching the snow reflected sunlight as she watched him talk and laugh with his siblings. Now that they were back into their duties she had barely gotten to spend any time with him and her heart longed for him more than anything.

They both knew how they felt about each other, but they had agreed to not become mates until Leopardpaw earned her warrior name. She didn't want to rush it, but she also just wanted to be at his side more than anything. She thought about the night they shared during the storm constantly, despite the storm raging above their heads it had been one of the greatest days of her life.