Chapter 26

Slateheart wandered through the forest, something about it seemed...strange, almost ethereal. There was a misty fog around the trees, and the air was warm. He felt confused...but calm. He looked around, his amber eyes scanning the forest. He didn't know why he was here, he had to keep searching.

She padded through the misty forest, the only sound coming from his own paws stirring the leaves on the ground. He certainly wasn't in AshClan territory, it felt more like SunClan territory with all the oak trees, but he couldn't scent SunClan. He couldn't scent anything other than foliage that surrounded him.

He sniffed through the forest as he continued walking, he could hear a river bubbling in the distance but nothing else stood out. It seemed to go on forever, he was very confused.

He finally caught a different scent after several long moments of wandering aiminlessly. It was familiar scent, one that filled him with a scent of comfort. He tracked the scent and it led him towards the gentle river. On the riverbank sat a cat, her lithe frame and dappled black coat told him exactly who it was. "Blssomtail?" He spoke, getting her attention.

Blossomtail glanced over her shoulder, her golden eyes seeming to glow like a gentle flame, instantly warming Slateheart. His heart began to pound in his chest and he couldn't explain why. He felt like a moth drawn to her as he slowly padded towards her and the river. "I was wondering when you'd get here." Her voice was teasing, but soft. It sounded sweeter than any birdsong in the forest. His breath caught in his throat.

"How did you know I was coming?" He asked, his voice low.

"Because we always meet here." She rose to her paws and stepped close to him, the closest they had ever been, He could smell her sweet scent as it surrounded him, making his stomach flip. "Even though you do make me wait..." She touched her nose to his and his eyes instantly widened, he felt his heart leap out of his chest as she was so affectionate towards him.

Slateheart shot up in his nest, his heart pounding so loudly he thought it would wake the entire forest. He accidentally kicked Lilyclaw who hissed in annoyance, but just rolled over in her sleep. What in the name of StarClan was that dream? He asked himself, trying to slow his racing heart.

He glanced towards the den entrance, he could see the sun barely starting to rise. The dawn patrol wouldn't have even left yet, but despite the chilly early newleaf air, Slateheart suddenly felt like his pelt was on fire. He very carefully climbed out of the den, desperate to feel the cool air on his pelt.

He couldn't get the dream out of his mind, why in the world would he dream about Blossomtail like that? In such a sweet and affectionate way, that's not the type of cat he was at all. He never felt romantically towards anyone, and he wasn't sure he ever would especially towards a SunClan cat.

He had been thinking about Blossomtail a lot since he encountered her at the border several days prior. He had realized that she was struggling a lot, he was not one to compliment others unless they deserved it, she and she certainly deserved it. He remembered how clumsy of an apprentice she was, and now she was agile and graceful. Her hunting was skillful, he had seen it before, and she had grown into a strong warrior, stronger than even some AshClan cats. He pictured her once more, how lean and strong she looked, his heart began to race again.

Stop thinking about her like that stupid! Slateheart scolded himself, lashing his tail. He had half a mind to go shove his head in the river to force himself back to reality.

"Slateheart?" He heard a confused, sleepy voice and noticed Stormheart leaving the warriors den. "I knew you're usually up early but not this early."

"Couldn't sleep." Slateheart replied flatly, refusing to let any of his struggles show to the Clan deputy.