Chapter 19

"It feels so good to finally be out of the den!" Nettleheart exclaimed as she and Mountainstar traversed through the territory together, their tails waving through the air happily. "I thought I was gonna go mad!"

"You and me both." Mountainstar said with a soft purr, walking through the snow with her mate. The snow had finally come to a stop and was gradually melting away, it was a slow pace and the territories were still covered in a thick layer of snow, but it was safe to return to Clan duties.

Everything seemed to be turning up for MountainClan. Hazelspring had returned to duties after being cleared of sickness by Owlbreeze and Poppysong wasn't far after, already returned to the warriors den with only a small cough and runny nose. Both Sparrowpaw and Troutstream were healing up nicely as well. Owlbreeze had explained to Mountainstar that Sparrowpaw was gradually getting his energy back and while Troutstream still had a ways to go, being one of the oldest in the Clan, Owlbreeze wasn't concerned with him and he was keeping Sparrowpaw entertained.

Riverstep's kits were also doing well. Starting to find their paws in the world and wiggling around. Mountainstar had gone to check on them and was highly impressed with how much they had grown. MountainClan's first set of kits were doing well, and she couldn't be happier.

Tonight was the gathering and Mountainstar was so excited to share how well her Clan was doing. She knew there were still cats out there who doubted the new Clan, but these three kits and surviving the blizzard easily would prove that MountainClan was just as strong as the others.

"Think Violetstar will come to the gathering tonight?" Nettleheart asked as if she had read Mountainstar's mind.

"Probably not." Mountainstar responded. "I doubt her and Riverstar came to any type of agreement with the blizzard going on."

"Riverstar sure seemed desperate when she visited us. Otherwise why would she have asked for our help. We're the smallest Clan here."

"I don't know if it's about desperation." Mountainstar replied. "Riverstar doesn't seem like the desperate type, if anything I think she just wants cats to agree with her, and I don't really agree with either side but I don't understand Clan politics enough to really make an opinion. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Riverstar and I've never really spoken to Violetstar. A few times when she was deputy."

"I spoke to her quite a bit when she was deputy." Nettleheart added. "She was nice, all the deputies were. She seemed a bit bolder compared to Shadowstar, but we were taught that MoonClan cats were peaceful. They'd be the last Clan I'd guess to get caught in the middle of a war."

"I do think they have a right to be angry, Riverstar did kill their leader and it's against the warrior code to kill cats in battle unless its for self-defense."

"I'm not sure why she did it." Nettleheart shrugged as they kept moving through the snowy forest. "Not really our place to say, I think you made the right choice keeping out of it. Dawnstar and Timberstar are so we should do the same."

"I'm glad I did." Mountainstar sighed. "I just want to focus on building our Clan, losing the warriors we did when they left was a hard blow but I think we're doing well. We have three healthy kits and didn't lose any cats to sickness."

"We're definitely a strong Clan." Nettleheart nudged her affectionately. "Because we have a strong leader."

Mountainstar felt her pelt heat up slightly at the compliment. "Oh stop." She said, her voice melting into a purr. "I may be leader but its you and the other warriors who make the Clan strong."

"That's what makes us all strong." Nettleheart touched her tail to Mountainstar's flank. "But you are a good leader, don't you dare brush that off."