Chapter 27

Blossomtail returned to camp after her patrol, her body ached and her shoulder was still sore. She was exhausted after staying up late as well as volunteering for the dawn patrol. She trudged into the camp, letting out a loud yawn and she wondered if she should actually get some rest, or if she should go hunting.

I could probably sleep...for a little bit. Though even taking a second to rest made Blossomtail feel guilty, but maybe she could rest just for a few moments. She padded over to the warriors den but was stopped as she heard a voice calling her name. "Hey Blossomtail!"

She turned her head towards the direction of the sound, it was Petalbreeze calling her over. She padded over to the queen curiously, she could see Lightkit and Ivykit behind her swiping at her tail and the queen looked exhausted. "What do you need?" Blossomtail looked at the two kits before turning her attention to Petalbreeze.

"I was wondering if you wouldn't mind watching these two for a little bit while I get out of camp and stretch my legs with Burnclaw." She requested. "I'd ask Sedgefern and Dovepool, but Dovepool is sleeping so Sedgefern is already dealing with six kits. Think you could handle these two?"

Blossomtail originally wanted to nap, but this would be a good way to rest without feeling guilty since she would be helping a Clanmate, plus she hadn't been spending as much time with the kits as she used to. "Sure, I don't mind." She replied. "I'll take care of them."

"Yay!" Ivykit chimed, the tiny she-cat ran to Blossomtail and nearly tripped over her paws getting to the warrior. "Blossomtail I missed you! Why haven't you come to see us? Do you not like us anymore?"

"Ivykit." Petalbreeze corrected her daughter. "What did I tell you about being so blunt?"

"That it's rude." Ivykit flattened her ears. "But I just wanna know." She whined. "Why can't I ask."

Petalbreeze let out an exasperated sigh. "Good luck with her." She purred in amusement. "Thank you again."

"Of course." Blossomtail dipped her head. "And I think I'll be alright, I grew up with Oakfang."

Petalbreeze let out a mrrow of laughter and left Blossomtail with her two kits, going off to find Burnclaw, the two mates vanishing into the forest, their tails intertwined. For a moment, Blossomtail felt the familiar pang of loneliness watching the two cats so in love, but she swallowed those feelings down and looked down at the kits.

"You never answered my question." Ivykit replied curtly, her green eyes intense for a kit. "Where have you been?" She felt a twinge of guilt, she had been so focused on her duties that she hadn't been spending time around the nursery like she used to.

"Warriors are busy, Ivykit." Blossomtail replied, sitting down. "Between the storm and warrior duties, I've just about worked my paws off."

"I never even see you in camp." Ivykit pointed out, Blossomtail tensed a bit. How much does this kit watch Clan life? "Where are you all the time? Other warriors don't go out as much as you do."

"I get restless in camp." Blossomtail gave her the straightest answer that she could understand. "You know how you get restless being in your nest and you gotta get your legs moving?"

"No." Ivykit said bluntly. "I like my nest. It's soft, when it has moss only. I don't like the feathers, I don't like how they feel on my paws." Her expression seemed to shift. "Do you like feathers in your nest?"

"Sometimes, but if they touch my nose then they make me sneeze." Blossomtail replied, grateful that Ivykit seemed to have gotten distracted by a different topic.

"Is the snow going away now?" Ivykit questioned with a head tilt. "I don't like the snow."

"Yes it's going away, it will be gone for a while." Blossomtail explained. "Do you remember how much snow fell during the blizzard? This is much less compared to then."