Chapter 20

Owlbreeze watched in horror as Riverstar led AshClan away, the tension between Dawnstar and Timberstar was still thick. All of her fears, all of StarClan's warnings seemed to be coming forward at once. It was clear that despite saying they wanted to remain neutral, both SunClan and LichenClan were starting to pick sides. Owlbreeze felt her stomach flipping in and turning itself in knots. She was glad Mountainstar had stopped the arguing but now AshClan was also stepping away from gatherings.

The leaders, deputies and medicine cats remained silent but hushed whispers could be heard across the gathering cats. Owlbreeze looked to her fellow medicine cats in Pebblestep, Honeyfrost, Roseheart and Emberwind and they all look equally concerned. Owlbreeze felt that she hadn't been able to do anything to stop this, but again she really hadn't been a chance to.

"I think it's time my Clan returns home." Timberstar announced with a flick of his tail and casting a judgemental glance at Dawnstar. "You two should do the same." He led LichenClan out of the hollow and vanished into the trees, only SunClan and MountainClan remained.

"I apologize for losing my temper." Dawnstar spoke to Mountainstar and the rest of the cats. "It's very unlike me, I suppose Riverstar still gets under my pelt from time to time."

"I thought you two weren't picking sides." Mountainstar turned to her. "That's what I was told to do because it's what you two said you would be doing."

"I haven't picked a side." Dawnstar sighed. "I want this war to end, but something tells me that we may not have a choice much longer. It's clear Riverstar is going to escalate this, we just don't know how."

Owlbreeze stepped forward, feeling her frustrations rise. "I tried to warn you about this." She spoke, her voice tense. "StarClan warned me about this war and I wanted you."

"And I apologize for not listening but my point still stands, Owlbreeze." She met her old leader's gaze. "We can't control the actions of the other Clans, only our own. I don't want to enter this war, but going forward I'm going to treat it like I may not have a choice. If Riverstar attacks us, then I will defend my Clan." She turned away from Owlbreeze, making her feel even more frustrated. "SunClan! We're going home."

Owlbreeze watched the leader along with Cinderflame, Pebblestep and Honeyfrost leave. Through the large crowd of SunClan cats Owlbreeze met eyes with Blossomtail which were filled with pain and worry. Owlbreeze tried to give her sister a reassuring glance, but she wasn't sure how well she did.

She had been so happy to see her siblings and hear their new warrior names, Blossomtail, Oakfang and Rushtail had all fit them so well but it felt like everything was ruined by the conflict. She had also been heart broken to hear about the passing of Sandfoot, she always enjoyed spending time in the elders den with her. Owlbreeze missed her old Clan, and it felt like she was about to watch them enter a bloody, violent war.

Images of her visions flashed in mind, reminding her that StarClan had placed this burden solely on her shoulders and there was nothing she could do to stop it. She couldn't change Riverstar or Violetstar's minds and it truly felt like Timberstar and Dawnstar were also making up their minds.

"Come on, Owlbreeze." She felt a nudge from Mountainstar which pulled her from her raging thoughts.

"Right..." Owlbreeze spoke quietly, turning away from where the SunClan cats had been and walking with her leader and deputy to return to their own camp.

"I'm going to stay out of this war as best I can, you know that right?" Mountainstar said, her golden eyes casting a caring glance downward.

"I know..." Owlbreeze sighed quietly. "You seem like the one leader who hasn't already formed an opinion on who's right or wrong..."