Chapter 31

Y/n found himself standing alone at a crossroads, two paths were ahead.The right path was one free of any obstacles and bathed in light leading toward a peaceful looking meadow. The left path was the opposite, the road was tarnished and treacherous, countless obstacles and shadowy threats littered the path which seemed to stretch endlessly into the distance. Y/n tried to take a step forward only for a terrible empty pain to surge through his whole body.As he collapsed Y/n caught a glimpse of a figure walking away from him.

Y/n:V-Vice!

???:CLEAR!

Y/n suddenly awoke in an unknown facility several doctors and nurses surrounding him, he was laying in a bed, hooked up to various beeping and buzzing machines that he didn't know the names of.Y/n looked up just as Akane and Akira embraced him, tears in their eyes.The medical staff quickly  exited the room, putting away the defibrillators which were still smoking.

Y/n:W-What happened? Where's Vice?

Akira:What do you mean?

Akane:Can't you sense him?

Y/n closed his eyes and put his hand on his heart.

Y/n:(Partner? You there?)

No response.Y/n opened his eyes again only for Akira to shove a plate of food into his face.

Akane:You need to eat, you've been out for days.

Y/n:Days!? What the hell happened!?

A voice distorted by a robotic filter responded.

???:I can explain that.

Though the voice was distorted heavily, Y/n recognised.Y/n's voice seemed to shake, his breathing becoming rapid and a constrictive feeling spread through his already injured body.

Y/n:M-Masume....

Y/n:You should be dead! I saw yo-!

Masume:I can't say I'm surprised to hear that, very few would have survived what I have.

Masume slowly removed the mask from his face revealing his now heavily burned and scarred face.One of Masume's eyes was replaced by a prosthetic while the other was permanently bloodshot, an apparatus around his neck is what allowed Masume to even breathe.

Akane:Father...

Masume:*cough* *cough* Though I did survive the collapse of NOAH I didn't do so unscathed.

Y/n:W-Where's Vice?

Masume:He was absorbed into you.

Y/n:What!?

Akira:That vistamp....it was created by you wasn't it?