Chapter 5

Emersyn

I adjust the box in my arms, the weight of it a reminder of the life I'm leaving behind and the new one I am starting. A bag slung over my shoulder holds personal items, and I've got a new bed set tucked under one arm. This is it; this is where I'll be living. My heart is a frenzied drum in my chest, and my palms are sweaty. It's one thing to agree to rent the room, quite another to actually move in.

I pause on the porch, uncertainty washing over me. Should I knock, or do I just go in? I live here now, technically. But still, the thought of barging into a house full of men I don't know is daunting.

Minutes tick by as I stand there, debating. My inner voice chides me, urging me to be brave. Finally, I grasp the doorknob, take a deep breath, and walk in.

I'm greeted by the smell of something delicious cooking and the sight of a man sitting on the couch. I jump, almost dropping the box.

"Oh, hi there!" he exclaims, bounding to his feet. He's all motion and energy, with bright eyes and a contagious smile. "You must be Emersyn. Marx told us you were moving in today. I'm Fowler!"

His voice is like a playful melody, words tumbling out quickly. He's a few inches taller than me, with a medium build. His eyes, dark and expressive, carry a glint of mischief, framed by a set of strong brows. High cheekbones add a defined structure to his face, softened by the gentle curve of his lips. His hair, black and rich, falls into a mohawk that's not styled, lending a soft and loose appearance.

"Hi, Fowler," I manage to stammer, taken aback by his energy. He's like a golden retriever puppy, full of excitement and warmth. I can't help but smile.

"Come in, come in! Here, let me take some of that," he says, grabbing the box and the bed set.

His words tumble out, one after the other, and I find myself swept up in his enthusiasm. But inside, I'm still a bundle of nerves.

I follow him to my room, feeling a mixture of excitement and apprehension.  "This used to be my room," he says as he opens the door to my room. "But I upgraded when our last roommate moved out. My new room is bigger, though it means I don't have my own bathroom anymore."

"I didn't know I had a private bathroom," I admit, looking around the room, trying to figure out where it might be. My eyes catch a door that I'd assumed was a closet.

"Oh yeah!" Fowler exclaims, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "Did Marx forget to mention that?" He sets down the box and bed set onto my bed with a grin and strides over to the door. "Check it out!"

He swings the door open, revealing a small bathroom that's efficiently designed and well-maintained. A standup shower, slightly larger than the typical ones but not quite as spacious as a full-size shower-bath combo, takes up one corner. Its glass doors are spotless, reflecting the soft glow of the overhead light.

There's a sink with a gleaming chrome faucet, a mirror above it that adds a sense of space to the room, and a toilet tucked neatly beside. A built-in closet provides storage space, with shelves stocked with towels.

"The shower's a bit bigger than normal. And it has a built-in seat. It's a great place to relax after a long day," Fowler adds, his eyes dancing with excitement as he observes my reaction. "I used to sit in there and use it like a sauna. The steam really helped loosen me up after work."

I step closer, my apprehension slowly easing as I take in the sight. The tiles are a soft cream color, gleaming as if freshly cleaned. 'It's perfect,' I murmur, my eyes lingering on the shower, imagining how good it's going to feel under the hot stream.