Chapter 10

Emersyn

A loud knock on my door jolts me awake, and I groggily sit up, blinking at the bright sunlight streaming through my window. I glance at my phone, and my eyes widen. It's already late in the morning, and I'm still in bed.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I pad over to the door, the carpet soft beneath my feet. I crack the door open, still half-asleep, and find Fowler standing there, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Good morning, sunshine!" he greets, his gaze traveling slowly over my body, lingering on my bare legs peeking out from beneath the t-shirt. I can see the glint in his eye, a mix of appreciation and desire that sends a shiver down my spine.

Wait, my bare legs. Oh shit. I don't have any pants on, just my t-shirt and panties. I gasp and quickly pull the door closer to my body, my cheeks flushing a bright red.

Fowler's eyes follow my movement, his smile widening into a grin. There's something almost feline in that smile. He leans against the door frame, his voice dropping to a husky whisper. "If I knew this is how you answered your door, I wouldn't have waited so long to knock."

His sensual words catch me off guard, and I find myself momentarily lost in his eyes, the flirty tone resonating with something deep within me. He's not just teasing; there's genuine interest there, something that makes my heart skip a beat.

"Can I help you with something, Fowler?"

"I mean-," he starts, but I cut him off with a look. I don't want to know where that sentence was about to go. Or maybe I do.

He pouts, his bottom lip jutting out in a childlike expression of disappointment. "I wanted to see if you wanted to go with me to get some breakfast. I tried to let you sleep in, but you were snoozing so late, and I'm getting sooo hungry." He rubs his stomach dramatically for effect.

I chuckle at his playful nature, my initial embarrassment forgotten. "Give me ten minutes to get ready, and I'll join you."

"Deal!" Fowler agrees, his eyes sparkling.

"I'll be quick, promise," I assure him, my mind already racing with what to wear.

He grins and heads down the hall, leaving me to scramble around my room, throwing on clothes and brushing my hair.

Fowler is waiting at the door as I walk out of my room. I glance up at the loft for just a moment. I wonder what Marx is doing.

As we head out the door, I turn to Fowler, a teasing smile playing at my lips. "So, are you driving, or am I?"

He looks slightly sheepish, rubbing the back of his neck. "Funny thing about that... I, uh, don't drive."

"You don't drive?" I can't hide my surprise, my eyebrows shooting up. "Like, at all?"

"Nah, never really cared to learn." He shrugs, the grin returning to his face. "I prefer to be chauffeured around by beautiful women."

I roll my eyes at his attempt at charm but can't help but laugh. "Well, lucky for you, I'm here. But I expect good conversation and maybe some singing along to the radio."

Fowler's eyes light up, and he throws an exaggerated salute. "Aye aye, Captain!"

We make our way to my car, a comfortable old sedan that's seen better days but never fails me.

As I slide into the driver's seat and he settles into the passenger's side, I catch him stealing another glance at my legs. This time, though, they're not bare. But his gaze still heats my skin.

"So, where are we headed?" he asks, pulling me out of my thoughts. His smile is genuine, and I can see he's genuinely looking forward to spending time with me.