Chapter 51

Emersyn

"And you've just been sleeping in his room every night? Just sleeping?" Valarie's eyebrow arches as we put on clothes for our night out at the bar.

"Yes, just sleep," I confirm, my voice tinged with a hint of exasperation. I've answered this question a million times already.

For over a week now, sleeping in Marx's bed has become my new normal. We've never really discussed it; it's evolved into an unspoken ritual. Each night, after he comes home from the bar, he comes to my room. I'm usually already asleep, but it doesn't stop him. His arms, strong and warm, lift me effortlessly, carrying me to his room as if I'm as light as the sheets we later share.

I've noticed the change in him, the subtle lightening of his spirit. He moves with an ease that wasn't there before, his smiles more frequent, more genuine. It seems my presence, our shared slumber, brings him a peace that echoes throughout his day.

And I can't deny the selfish part of me that revels in the arrangement. There's something profoundly comforting about sleeping beside him. His steady breathing, the warmth of his body, the safety of his room. I find myself sinking into deeper, more peaceful sleep, a luxury I hadn't realized I'd been missing until now.

"Earth to Emersyn," Valarie's voice slices through my daze, her hand waving animatedly in front of my face.

I blink, pulled abruptly from my thoughts of Marx. She must have been speaking while I was lost in the comforting images of our nightly routine. A flush of embarrassment colors my cheeks. "Sorry, I was miles away," I admit, shaking my head as if to clear the lingering fog of my daydreams. "What were you saying?"

Valarie looks at me, a knowing smile tugging at her lips. "Just making sure you're still with me here," she teases gently.

Valarie's knowing smile fades into a playful roll of her eyes as she turns back to the mirror, adjusting her costume. I follow suit, standing beside her to examine our reflections.

Tonight, we're embracing the Halloween spirit at Disorderly, each of us donning a costume that's a reflection of our personalities.

Valarie, ever the bold and vibrant one, is dressed as a modern take on a pirate. Her outfit is a blend of edgy and seductive—a fitted, off-the-shoulder white blouse that clings to her silhouette, paired with a short black skirt adorned with gold accents. A faux leather belt cinches her waist, and knee-high boots complete the look.

Her hair is teased into wild waves, a bandana tied around her head, and her makeup is dramatic, with smoky eyes and bold red lips. She looks fierce.

I, on the other hand, have opted for something a bit different. I'm dressed as a woodland fairy, a costume that's more whimsical and dreamy.

A delicate, leaf-patterned dress in shades of green and brown clings to my body, its hemline fluttering just above my knees. The fabric is light, almost ethereal, and it moves with me like a second skin. Delicate wings, iridescent and fragile, are attached to my back, catching the light as I move.

My hair is styled in loose, flowing waves, adorned with small flowers, and my makeup is soft, with a focus on shimmering, natural tones.

We both turn, examining ourselves from different angles. "You look amazing, Val," I comment, my eyes taking in her reflection. She's a picture of confidence and allure, a force to be reckoned with.

"And you look stunning, Em," she replies, her gaze meeting mine in the mirror. "Like a creature straight out of a fairytale."

We share a smile, our excitement for the night ahead evident in our expressions.