Chapter 28

Emersyn

I glance at the clock on my nightstand. 2:00 PM. The wedding starts in just three hours. My hands tremble slightly as I apply the finishing touches to my makeup. I've chosen a subtle smoky eye and a soft pink lip color, hoping to strike a balance between elegance and understatement.

I turn to the mirror one final time, surveying my look. My wavy brown hair cascades down my back, styled in loose curls. I'm wearing a lavender chiffon dress that flatters my curvy figure without being too extravagant. The dress hugs my waist and flares out just above the knees, providing the perfect mix of comfort and style. I slip on a pair of nude heels, instantly elevating my 5'3" frame.

Taking a deep breath, I grab my matching clutch and make my way out of the room. The moment I step into the living room, I freeze.

Marx is standing there, adjusting his cufflinks. He's wearing a tailored suit that makes him look incredibly handsome, but what catches my attention the most is the color of his shirt. It's the exact same shade of lavender as my dress.

Is this a coincidence? He couldn't have known what I was going to wear. Our eyes meet, and for a moment, the room feels like it's charged with electricity.

"Wow," he says softly, breaking the silence.

I snap out of my daze. "Thank you, Marx. You clean up pretty well yourself," I reply, trying to sound casual, but my voice wavers slightly.

Marx smiles, but there's something else there, a sort of intensity that I can't quite place. "Shall we?" he gestures towards the door.

I nod, still pondering the curious coincidence of our matching outfits. As we make our way to the car, I can't help but wonder what the day has in store for us, for me. My brother is getting married, and here I am, caught in a web of complex emotions, tangled up with multiple men who all offer something different, something compelling.

As Marx opens the car door for me, I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the window. For the first time in a long time, I don't just see Emersyn, the girl who loves to bake and read cheesy romance novels. I see a woman who's something more.

As I slide into the car, Marx joining me a moment later, I take one last glance at our reflection. Two people in matching colors, on the way to a wedding that's about promises, about futures.

"Ready?" Marx asks, breaking into my thoughts.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I reply, turning to look at him.

He smiles, a hint of something unreadable in his eyes, as he starts the van. The engine purrs to life, and we pull out onto the road. We drive in comfortable silence for a few moments, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

Finally, I decide to break the silence. "So, Marx, how did you end up picking that shirt color? It matches my dress perfectly."

He glances over, a wry smile forming on his lips. "Pure coincidence. It was just something I had hanging in the closet." I chuckle, still not entirely convinced it's just a coincidence.

The van pulls up to a large, beautifully landscaped estate, the venue for my brother's wedding. Tall trees line the gravel driveway, their branches weaving together like fingers clasped in prayer. The estate itself is like something out of a fairy tale—a grand mansion surrounded by gardens in full bloom, their colors vibrant even in the late afternoon sun.

Marx parks the van, then gets out and walks around to open my door. His eyes meet mine as he extends his hand to help me out, and for a split second, I feel butterflies in my stomach. I've never seen him this gentle, this... attentive.