Chapter 43 pt 1

Emersyn

The book in my hands has lost its charm, the words blurring into meaningless shapes as my mind wanders. I spent most of the day in the garden with Cruz, but I haven't done much else since then.

I showered, took a short nap, and now I'm trying to read. But this book just isn't keeping my focus. My mind always keeps drifting back to the guys, especially Marx.

Locke is out of town for business and won't be home until late.

Fowler has a double at the hospital. Maybe I will take him some food later. I feel like I haven't seen him much lately either.

Marx is, well, I don't know where Marx is. He might be in his room, or he could not be home at all. I didn't get to see him too often before, but since the other night, I haven't seen him at all. Or even heard him.

A soft knock at my door pulls me from my thoughts. "Come in," I call out, not bothering to look up. There's only one person it could be.

The door creaks open, and I sense rather than see Cruz standing there. There's something about his presence, a calming energy that's become familiar.

"Hey, Em, are you busy?" Cruz's voice is soft, almost hesitant.

I finally raise my eyes, setting the book aside. "Not really, just reading. What's up?"

He leans against the door frame, his hands casually tucked in his pockets. "I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me for a bit. Just... to get out of the house."

The invitation surprises me, and a curious flutter awakens in my stomach. "Where to?" I ask, already intrigued by the spontaneity of his proposal.

I haven't gone out alone with Cruz before. Other than being in the garden together, I don't think we've even been alone together.

Cruz shrugs, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. "I don't actually know. Just felt like getting some fresh air, thought you might too."

I consider it for a moment, then nod, a smile breaking across my face. "Yeah, I could use a break from these four walls. Give me a couple of minutes to get ready."

His smile widens. "Dress warm," he advises before disappearing from my doorway.

I hop off the bed, quickly swapping my loungewear for a pair of snug jeans and a cozy long-sleeve shirt. Boots seem like a good choice for whatever Cruz has in mind. I brush through my hair, leaving it down to cascade over my shoulders, a few quick strokes of mascara and I'm ready.

Stepping into the living room, I find Cruz waiting. He's a vision that momentarily steals my breath. Tight black jeans mold to his legs, a form-fitting black shirt accentuates his muscular torso, and a leather jacket is thrown over it all. His hair is down and I can't get over how much I love it like this.

In his hand, he holds another leather jacket, which he extends to me as I approach.

"Thought you might need this," he says, his voice a low rumble that resonates within me.

"Thanks," I murmur, taking the jacket. It's heavy, the leather soft and warm. As I slip it on, I can't help but be entranced by him. There's an air of effortless charisma about Cruz that's always captivated me. The way the jacket hugs his broad shoulders, the subtle hint of a tattoo peeking out from under his sleeve, the rugged stubble along his jawline, and those deep, dark eyes.

Cruz watches me, an unreadable expression in his eyes. For a moment, there's an electric silence between us, filled with unspoken words and unexplored possibilities.