Jeon Wonwoo: Even if the world ends tomorrow

What if the world came to an end tomorrow? 

This sinister-filled question came straight out of a textbook or movie. Yet, what if it really did appear in front of humanity? People would crowd up in tumultuous chaos, hysteria would cause severe accidents, and nobody would care about one's health or wellbeing. 

The lofty infinite sky of today colored in rare prints which indicated that the downfall might happen, scaring the frightened self right out of me. The saccades of my eyes moved to the teared-up pieces of photographic films, the ones that I personally shredded up days ago. 

I hated myself in those rapturous periods when you are acting obtuse and not realizing that you should have lived your life normally. My knees bended itself to the ground and towards one photo that was still intact.

Foreheads matched, thick butter yellow dress straps lining my shoulders while the broad upper frame of the man was clothed in a white linen button up. Bluish glowing angled our picture, giving a nostalgic yet mystic vibe to the scene. The photographer was a freelancer, wanting to take one click of us after he found the emotions we were giving to each other immensely beautiful. 

We on the other hand felt disgusted, at least the guy counterpart thought so. I mean, we were best friends after all, and the topic called romance was not something that was being considered appropriate. Why did we agree to act that like we actually were a couple, giving the photographer exactly what he wanted which got us a copy to bring home.

Tears escaped my eye corners again, like I had not cried enough for the last couple of days. Breaking up the unconditional friendship for our own good, never thought that this would take us for granted. We both called it off after seeing the circumstances that found ourselves in. 

Unfinished pieces of beauteous music, spread over sheets around the room that slowly withered around as if I could hear those melodies fade away. The captivating voice, my voice and his guitar were something that could never be heard in the same space again. 

The news showed that so-called shelters were getting jam-packed, mentioning emotionally that people should gather up at the shores with their loved ones because there was no way the earth was going to survive. 

Wiping my wet cheeks dry, I mustered up the courage to call the one who taught me the most important thing on this doomed planet. My ringtone suddenly suited the feeling of belonging, swiping the green button with an unclipped nail.

'Hello?'

It took one single greeting to make me run out of my front door, speeding through all the monstruous mess that was getting forged on the streets. The weather had become majorly crude and slovenly, even the puffy clouds were getting prepared for the worst outcome that people feared. 

After escaping the controlling officers and guards who did not let anyone outside the town skirts, my ballerina-clad feet reached the beginning of a sandy path that led towards the beach. My pumping heart could even notice him from a fair distance, seated on the ground while his curly black hair got messed up by the unusual wind force. 

I strode towards the seashore as I parted my lips to call out to him, beating me to it as he spoke without looking back around. 'I prayed for the first time in my life.'

My slow footsteps arrived at where he was, my linen white dress chilled my whole-body temperature as I engulfed myself warmly in my arms. 'Well, that is a given.'

Diverting my pupils to the right side, I glanced down only to see him with his eyelids closed together while he took one deep breath. 'I know it is ironic, but I do not want to go down like a setting sun. At least, not right now.'