Kim Mingyu: Ricocheted Memories

The purpose of our life is to be happy. 

Your precious parents, the cranky aged neighbor, the sole owner of a regular café that you visit often or even Dalai Lama. They all have used this one specific quote to give your existence a better self-esteem. 

Moments that wished a much better outcome seemed to never come, until I received an indeclinable opportunity to move right back where I originally came from. 

South Korea

My mom and dad were acting hesitant, not knowing if it was the proper choice to let me alone in a foreign country far away from where we were living now. I have always been treated fairly positive by my family members, both of my parents never rejected any of my or my sister's decisions. 

Still, they could not let their child stay miserable and regrettable forever.

There is a catch to this story though. My diligent mind only drifted towards one uncluttered goal, meeting my long-lost childhood friend. I honestly missed that cheerful boy, from which I was four years apart in age while that did not stop us from becoming depended on one another.

Thus, being in the middle of chaos and panic, sounds of rolling luggage and engaging conversations entered my mind as I found myself landed on Incheon International Airport

I told myself, Park Eunhee, you are in a country that was once not unfamiliar to you. Just be brave, get yourself together and work hard for what you came here for.

And with this peptalk, several months later between busy workdays I had finally found the needed free time for yours truly. 

The weather had peaked its most humid, sweat dripping as I dressed myself like a scrawny tomboy what contradicted my usual style. The right hand on my limb opened the door to walk into the 24/7 open convenience store, meeting the frigid air that was blown onto my face through the air-conditioning at once. 

Although the clock had clicked its midnight race, I craved for a cold Iced Americano while slumping towards the fridges where they sold plastic cups with alluring ice cubes. 

I yawned contagiously, squinting my droopy eyes until I saw two peculiar men on the opposite side of me. Their looks drilled screws in my brain as if I had done something to them in my previous life.

Appearing indeed taller than the general height of Korean people, the beanie guy and the oversized shirt guy looked quite frightening if it was not for the way they behaved silly. I diverted my view downwards, grabbing the plastic cup and package with the liquid coffee before waiting at the counter. 

The worker scanned my products annoyingly slow, the laundry detergents that I had to buy where nonetheless heavy for that poor, tired part-timer. At this point I had enough, my personality speaking for me as I did not want to back out of a conversation unless it is the way to deal with it. 

And before I wanted to turn around to let the balls rolling, a masculine voice mockingly scoffed his disbelieve. 'Hello? You seriously do not know me?'

My head rapidly turned around to stare back, the both of them were in a closer distance now which made me realize one thing.