Commotion

I thought it would be a simple matter. But it turned out to be a miss. That's what I thought after Shoukaku suddenly pulled a knife out of her shirt and jumped onto my desk. But luckily, my military education instincts came into play. I quickly dodged, and caught her. It wasn't long before I called the Military Police. While waiting for their arrival, I tied the girl to the chair in front of me. Then I looked at her with a sharp gaze.

''Ears on me you little bastard, Eagle Union has given you everything to make you comfortable here and this is what you do to us?!''

Shoukaku didn't respond, just kept thrashing around trying to get untied. ''Let me go!''

I, who still couldn't contain my emotions, grasped the collar of the shirt she was wearing. ''If it wasn't for our principles, I would have make a hole on your fuckin' head that time! Why don't you have a little appreciation for what we did to you?!'' I continued with my emotions still running high. We've given her all the best of us for her. But how could she just stab in the back? I don't understand why she did that. It was as if what the ship's medical personnel had done was wasted. (I say that because it was only the medical personnel who had ever really helped her.)

''Didn't I promise to reunite you with your  sister Zuikaku? Why can't you just be patient for a few days?! You were supposed to help us find a way out of this conflict. But you're making trouble instead.''

Shoukaku just stood in front of me looking down. It was as if she knew her mistake.

''We are trying our best to reunite you all. Both Crimson Axis and Azur Lane. Out there, people are suffering greatly from the fear of Sirens. Sirens have taken so many lives out there! And you're still looking out for fuckin' yourselves!''

''You should be ashamed of yourselves! Many helpless people like us still even want to sacrifice themselves on the ocean. Just so you know, the ships we use are actually no match for the siren ships. Even their destroyers are half the size of your cruisers. And you, who have the strength to face them, are fighting like children! Where's your damn shame?! Where's your warrior spirit?! I'm sure, if General Yamamoto were still alive, he would have suffered great shame because of you!''I said explosively. I felt like slapping myself.

Soon several military police followed by Miss Yorktown entered my room. Swiftly, they then took Shoukaku to be detained elsewhere. While the MP personnel left with Shoukaku, Miss Yorktown approached me who was still standing alone in front of my desk.

''Are you alright, Fletcher? She asked in a worried tone.

I glanced at her for a moment, then looked away again. ''I'm fine... it's just... I'm a little sad just thinking about the struggles of my comrades out there...'' I said. Meanwhile, Miss Yorktown seemed to be perking up her ears.

''Out there, we're trying desperately to at least defend our homeland from the Siren invasion. We don't have enough power, but we're trying to do everything. At least until the old warriors fall and the children grow up to be warriors for mankind.'' I spoke while looking down. Imagining the thousands of children living in the world. Innocent ones who do not understand what is happening in the ocean.

Under these conditions, each child will become a soldier for humanity and future generations. Whatever their aspirations are. They become soldiers in their own way. However, their lives will still be in vain if this conflict continues without an end. In the end, humanity will become extinct and the Sirens will occupy the earth. If that happens, then no one will be able to stop it. Not even Azur Lane or the Crimson Axis.

''I... never know about that...'' Yorktown hissed.

''Why you don't know?'' I asked with a sharp gaze to Yorktown.

''I...''

''you don't know what you're fighting for.'' I complained softly. ''So what have you been fighting for?''

Miss Yorktown was silent before me. While racking her brains to speak again. But she couldn't find it. It was as if she was cornered. In a deadlock of life's purpose. Because of their long-standing enmity, they were ignorant of the problems facing mankind. What the officer before her said was true. When those who knew they were weak fought the Sirens, those who were strong fought instead.

''I'm sorry...''

''You can't apologize to me, Miss Yorktown.'' I said in a cold tone. ''You should apologize to the human race out there. I can't be their representative.''

Yorktown then fell silent. In her silence, she felt that their long-standing enmity with the Crimson Axis was a sin that was now beginning to consume her. All this time, her resistance to the Crimson Axis was just a futility that kept repeating itself while the lives of sailors at sea kept being wasted without any clear numbers.

what have I done....what have I done....what are we really living for....

Yorktown's mind began to swell. She became unsure of what their purpose was in being resurrected in human form. Who their enemy really was. Siren, or a shipgirl from another faction that disagreed with them? She began to remember her sins when she fought against the Crimson Axis. In their war of vengeance, many lives were wasted out there.

''Miss, now please listen to me.'' I said as I lifted Miss Yorktown's head. Her face looked puffy with sadness. ''I... I... didn't mean to....''

''That's enough.'' I cut in while hugging Yorktown. ''It's not over yet, Miss Yorktown. It's never too late to end this. There will definitely be a way to fix all of this.'' I continued as I stroked Miss Yorktown's gray hair. ''We will definitely find a way.''

''Are you sure?'' she asked. A little sobs could heard.  

''We will.' I finished my sentence. Yorktown's sobs then stopped. Although tears were still streaming down his cheeks, a smile spread across his lips. ''Thank you, Captain.'' she whispered. Her heart was now relieved. The feeling of guilt that had been hanging over her head seemed to have disappeared. Now he made a promise to himself. To bring change to Azur Lane.

My desk phone rang. I let go of Yorktown and then answered the phone. ''Cleveland? What's up?" I asked over the phone. Cleveland called me all of a sudden.

''Fletcher! we got some information about the Black cube!'' Cleveland exclaimed from the phone. Being too close to the speakerphone, Cleveland's voice pierced straight into my eardrums. But that's not important now.

''Captain Fletcher, where are you going? Yorktown asked.

''The meeting hall.'' I said briefly while putting my uniform back on. ''There's a report from there.''