college

Warning: death and mild gore, along with some swearing. Reader discretion is advised.

My POV

I was dealing with some late night studying when I realized that the college library was about to close for the night. I hurriedly grabbed my books and scurried out of there. I knew that I had a week to learn how to identify how people died so that I could ace my anatomy class. I started to leave campus, knowing exactly where I was heading. I hope that the abandoned castle has some sort of textbooks kicking around. If not, I'm going to have some serious trouble. I noted, desperate to ace this fucking essay.

I heard that the abandoned castle had some sort of magic that allows you to conjure up whatever studying materials you needed, but I also heard ghost stories. Stories about people vanishing... Stupid. Do it for the grade. You were also heading to that castle for your creative writing homework, which was basically make a ghost story of your own. So I set off down the road. It was raining and it was freezing hell lashing on me.

~~~~~

It took me an hour to get to the castle. Here's hoping that I don't get caught. I thought. I open the door and enter the castle even though the hairs on my arms were standing on end. Better find the library to this place so that I can finish up my homework. I started jogging down the hall, unaware that I was being watched.

Barnaby's POV

Barnaby was watching the downpour, holding a glass of pinot noir and listening to the sound of rain spattering on the window. It's been quiet these few months. He noted, his swirling orange eyes reflecting back at him. "I never thought I would miss having uninvited guests come to my home, and yet... here I am. IT'S BORING!" Barnaby screeched the last part, his fruity voice breaking the wine glass in his taloned hand. I haven't had any uninvited guests stumble in here for a while, and I miss that. No sooner did he think this was when he heard the unmistakable sound of his front door opening.

"Oh, my! Oh-hoo-hoo-hoo! I spoke too soon! I better give that guest a proper welcome!" The ghost owl exclaimed, his midnight-black feathers puffing with joy. Barnaby felt like someone had brought him out into the sunlight even though it was dark and stormy out. He started rushing to the parlor, becoming violet mist as he flew. 

He arrived, slowly opening the door as to not startle the visitor. His orange eyes darted around, searching for the visitor. "Playing hide and seek, are we?" Barnaby mused, stretching his neck and twisting it around so that he could see his visitor. "That is a favorite of mine~!" He hooted deep within his throat, sticking a tongue out. "Ready or not, here I come~!" Barnaby chuckled, fading into mist.

Your POV

It didn't take me long to find the anatomy book you needed. It also didn't take me long to find the library. So I take the book off of the shelf and found a very quiet nook to read. I started reading, taking notes and writing my essay as I wrote about the many ways a human can die. My emerald green eyes narrowed in suspicion every time the castle creaked. It's suspicious that a castle that has been abandoned for a hundred years would have the textbook that I need. I noted, narrowing my eyes. I kept writing my essay until I couldn't write another word. Then I closed my laptop, noting that I used half of the battery.

Then I glanced outside. The rain has stopped, but it was still dark outside. I glance at my watch, checking the time. "Oh shit. It's 04:35!" I exclaim, standing up. I turn around, right into some dark, feathery mass. "What the-!?" I was surprised. I was confident that those ghost stories are a load of bunk, but now I'm finding myself standing face to face with an owl that towered over me.